• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Rallye Charger - opinions please

1968rt

Local time
11:58 AM
Reaction score
I've been restoring a numbers matching 72 Charger 440 for the last few years. I have a chance to buy a 71 R/T hood at a reasonable price. Would you leave the original bulge hood or buy the 71 R/T hood? I'm doing a color change, exterior and interior, so its not 100% original.
IMG_1683.JPG

Well….with it not being totally original I’d put on what you like…..but I would hang onto the original parts for down the road if and when the day you sell it….the new owner may want the original hood and any other parts to this car….

It's your car, if you like and want it go for it. As most above have said, hang on to the original parts.

I probably wouldn't. You'd be spending money to make it wrong sort of thing especially if you have the standard grilles. If it's cheap enough though it would be worth picking it up as it's a rare piece. If you do decide to install it make sure you paint both hoods and store the 72 one carefully.
If you have hideaways it won't looks quite as wrong IMO.

I have one that is essentially a survivor, all #'s 440. I found out years after I bought it that they only made 680 with a 440. That power bulge hood is not common and like the pressed metal doors, not easy to find. Mine still has the original organisol paint. If the 71 hood is a good deal, I'd buy it but not sure I'd want to put it on the car, I like the original, just my opinion.

_MG_5171_Jenn2-111.jpg

Obviously you like the look or you wouldn't even consider it, I would do it in a heartbeat, this BS of "not original" and "doesn't look right" is just that, BS. Its just a car and its your car, make it the way you want it not someone else's concept of what is right because what is "right" is what you like.

If the louvered insert on the R/T hood is warped, as most of them seem to be, I'd stick with the Rallye hood. If the R/T hood is cherry, go with what you like best.

Well fellas……opinions are like ********…..everybody has one…..as I stated earlier…..go with what you like and save the original parts…..problem solved…..these cars are special……but most importantly enjoy the heck outta them…..

Spoken like a true believer that there is nothing special about these cars and that is BS.

I never said they weren't "special" but that is a relative term, I think they are special in terms of the designs, attributes and place in automotive history but I do not think they are so special that they should not be altered. Most of these cars were altered within the first week of original ownership and at the end of the day they are just cars. If I didn't think they were special, I would not own 5 classic Mopars now.

I do not think they are so special that they should not be altered

Get a Mustang, alter that. They made millions of those things. They aren't making any more of these thanks to a lot of stupid politicians.

and at the end of the day they are just cars.

No, they are not. Most of what's on the road today are just cars but not classics. If they are just cars why own any? The statement that they are just cars is like the moronic comment about why have more than one car because you can only drive one. These are remarks made by people who've lived in an environment that has no respect for history.

Ah another keyboard warrior filled with self importance and self righteousness. There are plenty of these "pieces of history" in museums, collections, etc. so I don't think there is much risk of them fading away. You are obviously a "purist worried about whether or not the right type/marked bolt is in every spot and good on ya someone has to do it while everyone else is chopping them up and making them better... oh ya one more thing :hifu: Ignore button.... engaged :rofl:

Ah another keyboard warrior filled with self importance and self righteousness. There are plenty of these "pieces of history" in museums, collections, etc. so I don't think there is much risk of them fading away. You are obviously a "purist worried about whether or not the right type/marked bolt is in every spot and good on ya someone has to do it while everyone else is chopping them up and making them better... oh ya one more thing :hifu: Ignore button.... engaged :rofl:
Uncalled for! Why get upset?

Uncalled for! Why get upset?

Not upset at all just responding to jerk wad comments in kind. There is always someone who is positive that what they like/believe is the only acceptable course of action and they are always the ones who come out swinging with stupid crap. It would take a lot more than written words on a forum to get me upset, this is just entertainment :)

Auto Transport Service
Back