• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Roadrunner, What to do next?

1971RRthrash

Local time
7:00 AM
Reaction score
I picked up this 72 about a year ago. I'm thinking about dropping a big block back in it and driving it as a "project beater". should I go through with it? Or let it sit until I have the funds to restore it?

1095538-0dd15a8652e7ec76d4b68e7a2b791784.jpg

It’s more fun to drive as a beater.

A full restoration is an expensive and time consuming process. All my future projects will be “drive as you fix up”

Life is short. Maybe even shorter than you think. Get it running and have fun with it while you save.

Bought a '71 Demon in '99 that really just needed an engine to be a driver. Decided to 'restore' it (restify would be a better choice of words). Ended up loosing a son in 2001 and that car, along with several others, got sold for a song (I didn't care if I lived or died, was homicidal and suicidal). I had welded in a bunch of new sheet metal, converted it to the '73+ fold-down rear seat, etc. Had I just dropped a replacement engine in the danged thing, I could have enjoyed it for a couple years. I'm with the masses, get it drivable and fix other stuff here and there.

Demon1.jpg

Bought a '71 Demon in '99 that really just needed an engine to be a driver. Decided to 'restore' it (restify would be a better choice of words). Ended up loosing a son in 2001 and that car, along with several others, got sold for a song (I didn't care if I lived or died, was homicidal and suicidal). I had welded in a bunch of new sheet metal, converted it to the '73+ fold-down rear seat, etc. Had I just dropped a replacement engine in the danged thing, I could have enjoyed it for a couple years. I'm with the masses, get it drivable and fix other stuff here and there.

View attachment 1167457
Sorry to hear about your son. I lost my best friend (and only true friend) to suicide about 3 years ago. It really messed me up, It still messes with me but the people I've met through MOPARS!!!. And junk projects like this keeps my mind from the what ifs in life and keeps me in the "tomorrow isn't guaranteed" feeling.
21 and loving life :bananadance:

It's all about having fun.My 65 took 10 years and $$$$$$ to build.
I hardly drive it.Because of the cost and fear of damage.Odd but it's too nice.
My 63 that I have less than $10 grand in.Drive anywhere,park anywhere,not a care.
I feel good and have fun with no worry. My 2 cents.

Get it running and put that big block in it. Dive it like you stole it and work on it as you go. Like other stated if you have it prefect and restored to #1 shape your always worried about it being damaged. Won't leave it unattended for a second. Fix it up and drive it. :steering:

The most fun I've had with these cars was when I bought them, got them running and improved them over time while driving them. I see guys blow them apart in a month or two and then let them sit for 5 or 10 years until selling them in that state.
I've done quite a few total restorations the last few decades but it takes a lot of financial and time commitment and isn't always a joy to do.

As many have said, get it running and drive it, improve on it as you go. I have a 71 Charger that I am building that is completely torn apart, but I do not intend on painting the car, just going to get it put together enough so it runs and drives well and then use it.

Floors, frame rails, fuel system, brakes, ensure "volt meter" wiring not cooked, steering & suspension good, get it running RELIABLY and drive the hell out of it as you "hoard" stuff for your planned upgrade.

Auto Transport Service
Back