• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 band adjustment

JG1966

Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
Hello all. I am adjusting my kickdown band and rear band on my small block 727. This is the first time I've ever done this. Tranny is dated coded 1972. Tranny operates nicely (and fluid looked perfect) except right now I don't believe I have any kickdown at all (and yes my kickdown lever is installed and adjusted perfectly).
Four quick questions:
1. How critical is getting adjuster screw seated to exactly 72 inch-pounds? I've seen some say doing it by feel (good and snug) is OK. I can go buy an inch-pound torque wrench if I have to.
2. My kickdown lever ratio is 3.2. Does that mean I back out adjuster screw 2 1/2 turns as opposed to 2 1/4?
3. How can I tell if this tranny has a partial kickdown from the factory (I think they started in 72)?
4. Is it recommended to also adjust any of the line pressure allen head adjusters while I have the pan off? I would like a little firmer shift but nothing crazy. Thanks

Last edited:
If you can get a 72 in/lb reading on the adjusting screw, great. If not, I have done the snugging up method before with good results. Check your service manual, but less than 4.0 should be 2 1/2 out. The ptk started in '71 I believe so you should have that. If you would like a firmer shift try installing either a TF-1 or TF-2 kit.

^^^^^ Everything he said! ^^^^^

Better to be "snug" and close than "way too loose" from years of wear.

Thanks M&M. That's what I figure, too. It will help either way. It was about 4 turns on the kickdown when I snugged it up (need to make sure I'm close to 72 inch-pounds, but it was definitely loose). Rear band was right about 2 turns, so that one was pretty good. I think I'll forgo buying an inch-pound torque wrench.

You can never have enough tools. If you work on your cars and want to do it right, get the tools. Can you imagine if the factory always put stuff together just by personal feel. Snug to one person is either tight or loose to someone else/ A torque wrench is subjective. Same answer for anyone. The FSM wouldn't give a spec if it didn't need one. Get the service manuals. Enjoy knowing you did it right, not just good enough.

You can never have enough tools. If you work on your cars and want to do it right, get the tools. Can you imagine if the factory always put stuff together just by personal feel. Snug to one person is either tight or loose to someone else/ A torque wrench is subjective. Same answer for anyone. The FSM wouldn't give a spec if it didn't need one. Get the service manuals. Enjoy knowing you did it right, not just good enough.
Thanks Leo. I'm wavering on it. I found one at Harbor Freight for $20 (now just have to find those pesky 8-point sockets). I have lots of tools that I've used once or twice and may never use again (although I've actually found multiple uses for that $40 torsion bar remover.) At least inch-pound torque wrench will get use. Hell, I might actually start torquing my valve covers and oil pan bolts to spec.

you can also turn the driveshaft and tighten till it won't turn then back off the adjuster

old Gil Younger trick and others
also works on other band trans BW, cruzO fmx etc
sometimes hard to get a torque wrench into place
practice with the torque wtench with your han choked up near the socket
then ude a short wrench or ratchet and tje same pull you just learned
too loose adjuster and the band support falls out then a pita

Auto Transport Service
Back