• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Clutch Clearance

loganlane68

Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a 727 and the manual gives a clearance range for the clutch pack.There is supposed to be different size snap rings for getting the clearance.Im sure the snap rings are not going to be available locally so can I use and extra steel plate instead?

Yes the snap rings come in different thickness to adjust clearance. Same Diameter snap rings for front and rear clutch Order the correct part and do it right.

Last edited:
I'm rebuilding a 727 and the manual gives a clearance range for the clutch pack.There is supposed to be different size snap rings for getting the clearance.Im sure the snap rings are not going to be available locally so can I use and extra steel plate instead?
As long as the extra steel keeps the clearance in the range. I always put a used one next to the piston with the new one on top of it. I have an extensive stock of transmission parts including a 4-5" thick stack of clutch snap rings.
Mike

You can definitely use thicker/thinner steels and frictions. An extra steel behind the top pressure plate works if the clearance is really large. Place it between the pressure plate and snap ring. .085" steels should be available at your local trans parts house. Most times 5 thin (.063") frictions will fit the front clutch. I wouldnt sweat loose clearance for a street car. Dont get it any tighter on the high/reverse clutch than .012" per friction. The rear can go down to .025" total clearance.
Doug

Edit: Check what you have with new frictions.

Pretty sure a dealer still has the snap ring assortment.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'm sure there will be many more questions once the kit arrives.

Soak plates in atf before install and measurement. And go with correct snap ring for clearance

You can definitely use thicker/thinner steels and frictions. An extra steel behind the top pressure plate works if the clearance is really large. Place it between the pressure plate and snap ring. .085" steels should be available at your local trans parts house. Most times 5 thin (.063") frictions will fit the front clutch. I wouldnt sweat loose clearance for a street car. Dont get it any tighter on the high/reverse clutch than .012" per friction. The rear can go down to .025" total clearance.
Doug

Agree! To tight is worse than to loose...

To be honest clearance is clearance. Doesn't matter how you get there. All 11 Torqueflites I've built the spring have had proper clutch clearance with just parts juggling.
Doug

To be honest clearance is clearance. Doesn't matter how you get there. All 11 Torqueflites I've built the spring have had proper clutch clearance with just parts juggling.
Doug

I guess I need to come clean now.
I stalked a bunch of your old posts about the parts needed for rebuilding the transmission and I ordered the deep pan from TransParts Online.
Should I have gotten a spacer for the filter even though I will be filling it to the "full" mark on the dipstick?

That's a good question. I theory you don't need the spacer as the top of the fluid is at the same level. I always have run one. The 518 pan can use a thicker spacer than the old deep pan. Pretty easy to make out out of a chunk of aluminum if you have access to a band saw and drill press.
Doug

Dvw
Thanks for your reply.
I agree that the fluid will cover the filter when fill.
This car is only at the track a few times a year so mostly street.
I think I will get one just to be safe.
I

Hello All
I have this 727 going back together and I can't get the rear clutch assembled.
I have the wave spring,spacer ring, and the pressure plate(with the collar down ) then friction then steel 4 friction 3 steels.
When I put the upper pressure plate on I'm missing the grove for the upper snap ring by maybe 1\2 the thickness of the pressure plate.
Is there a trick to getting that together?
Thanks

Did you replace the rear clutch piston seals? Sounds like the piston is not all the way down. Getting the piston in is frequently a pain. You should pull the piston out to be sure the seals aren't damaged, been there done that). Check the seals closely.

Thanks for the reply
Yes I replaced the piston seals.Im sure the piston is seated (it's even with the bore of the piston retainer).
My problem seems to be the distance from the wave spring to the upper snap ring.
I know the frictions are different do you know if the steels are the same thickness?
Thanks again

Different thickness steels & frictions are available. Usually the smooth rear frictions are same as stock. Maybe front frictions in rear clutch or spring upside down??

Thanks for your time
I put the wrong frictions in.
All I can say is whoops.
Thanks again

On the filter spacer--yes use one. You want the pickup to be as submerged as possible, just like in your engine oil pan..
Good luck on your rebuild!

Auto Transport Service
Back