• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 deep trans fluid pan pickup

SlinktRR

Local time
8:33 PM
Reaction score
I have a 727 deep finned pan from 440 source that I want to install but it didn't come with a filter pickup extension. Does anyone sell one on its own? I see Mancini has a billet extension but it only comes with the pan kit.

I have a 727 deep finned pan from 440 source that I want to install but it didn't come with a filter pickup extension. Does anyone sell one on its own? I see Mancini has a billet extension but it only comes with the pan kit.

Did you call Source and ask what would work with it? Measure the pan depth, lots of options out there.

There are different depth deep pans. Most use a 1" spacer. The 518 ribbed style can use 1 3/4" spacer. We make them from scrap aluminum.
Doug

You really don't need one. The fluid "full level" is the same regardless of how much fluid is below it.

You really don't need one. The fluid "full level" is the same regardless of how much fluid is below it.
If you run a deep pan without a filter extension, you've negated the benefit of the deep pan....there may be extra oil capacity but if the pick up can't "pick it up", might as well save the money and buy a stock shallow pan.

Measure the depth of your deep pan. Now measure the depth of your stock pan. Subtract the stock pan depth from the deep pan depth, and this is approximate length of filter extension you need. A&A Transmissions has a variety of extensions to choose from. If you have a cable shifted TorqueFlight, you will need an extension with two oil holes.

If you run a deep pan without a filter extension, you've negated the benefit of the deep pan....there may be extra oil capacity but if the pick up can't "pick it up", might as well save the money and buy a stock shallow pan.
Actually not correct. You don't run a deep transmission pan in hopes of not running out of fluid, it is solely to help keep the fluid cooler. If a stock location filter is used and it is kept to the dipstick full level, there is no issue and the added fluid will help keep it cooler. It's not like an engine w a high volume pump and high rpm's can suck the pan dry due to oil sitting in the heads, cam valley or sticking to walls etc. The transmission fluid is hydraulic and is pumped through the transmission n cooler and back to pan. No place for loss.

I think a correct pickup is important. When the pump is pumping it will draw down the level in the pan. How much?? I want to be sure my suction point is well below the fluid level. My opinion.

No siree bob. Your totally wrong. As long as the level is at the full line the pick up will never run out of atf. Only time it will run out of atf is if there is a leak and the pan runs low. Which would be the same as a stock pan running low. Not the same as a motor with a deep pan. Kim

No siree bob. Your totally wrong. As long as the level is at the full line the pick up will never run out of atf. Only time it will run out of atf is if there is a leak and the pan runs low. Which would be the same as a stock pan. Kim

I don't agree.

I hate red X's so I will respond. Nope! A deep pan is for extra fluid capacity and cooling. They were designed for racing of all types. In that case I would use a extension but in theory, for a street car, they really aren't needed. ANd like you said, you might as well save your money and use a shallow stock pan. THe newer 904 and 727 based overdrives have a deeper pan available. Just a stock steel one. If you're looking for extra fluid.

transmission pan.jpg

Last edited:
No siree bob. Your totally wrong. As long as the level is at the full line the pick up will never run out of atf. Only time it will run out of atf is if there is a leak and the pan runs low. Which would be the same as a stock pan running low. Not the same as a motor with a deep pan. Kim

Actually not correct. You don't run a deep transmission pan in hopes of not running out of fluid, it is solely to help keep the fluid cooler. If a stock location filter is used and it is kept to the dipstick full level, there is no issue and the added fluid will help keep it cooler. It's not like an engine w a high volume pump and high rpm's can suck the pan dry due to oil sitting in the heads, cam valley or sticking to walls etc. The transmission fluid is hydraulic and is pumped through the transmission n cooler and back to pan. No place for loss.
Then why do the good deep pans come with an extension? For looks?
Deeper pan, you put the pickup under the fluid, not on top of it. It ensures the pickup is always submerged during hard braking or acceleration.
This is a ridiculous argument that defies logic.

Then why do the good deep pans come with an extension? For looks?
Deeper pan, you put the pickup under the fluid, not on top of it. It ensures the pickup is always submerged during hard braking or acceleration.
This is a ridiculous argument that defies logic.
The pick up will still be submerged as the fluid level is still in the same place as with a shallow pan. Kim

Auto Transport Service
Back