• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Front clutch question

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:04 AM
Reaction score
I am rebuilding the 727 in my 67 Coronet RT. I've purchased both of the popular 727 rebuild books and they are very helpful. I have a question about the front clutch pack suggested clearance. This trans uses a 4 friction clutch pack and a flat snap ring not a wave ring. In the Appendix's in the books they don't specify wave or flat in the specs but they make it clear they are completely different. When I disassembled the pack they had 2 steels to start the pack and the clearance was maybe .060. According to the specs this pack minimum clearance with 4 disc is .082, so on reassembly with new steels and friction I only started with one steel and selected a .088 thick snap ring and ended up around .090 clearance. Am I on track here?

Sounds Ok. .015 per disk, for a total of .060 without the wavy ring would be a bare minimum. You can be nearly twice that tho, and still be within spec (.066 to .123 for your application), although not quite ideal. So, at .090, should be quite workable. Should not have been two steel plates together tho either. HTH, Lefty71

Sounds great. I’d run it. You don’t want the wavy snap ring.

All the wavy ring does is soften the clutch application.

Auto Transport Service
Back