• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 front trans seal leak. ?

slimt

Local time
4:34 PM
Reaction score
Just got back from a shop where i had some things looked after (1) was suppose to be a front seal they said it was not the problem but a pan gasket and tail shaft seal out on the highway. See smoke off the exhaust pull over the inspection plate has tranny fluid just falling out. would it be possible the convertor would be leaking?

20170818_200433.jpg

Last edited:
Occasionally the hubs crack, although I've never seen one myself.
Mike

Some stock converters have drain plugs, could loosen & leak (unlikely). Overfilled trans fluid could come out the vent. Otherwise a front pump bushing & seal problem. One year I had very bad leaking in my race car, replaced the bushing & seal several times, used a towel to avoid track spillage. At the end of race season we measured the front pump housing bore in the 727 case and discovered in was not round. Tossed the case in the dumpster & built a new one. No more bad leak issues.

I have had issues with the front vent puking ATF, so I block them and install a 1/8" NPT to 1/4 air push-to-connect fitting at the rear of the case with some 1/4 nylon line from the fitting up towards the cowl.
I have seen converters where the hub had a hairline crack also.
Not to mention stuff like using the wrong converter bolts. One truck had converter bolts that were too long and were screwed into the torque converter shell.

Years ago I installed a Griner trans brake. The instructions were to plug the front pump vent & add a vent at the rear of the trans. Worked good.

question on converters? do they require filling up with fluid prior to installation? or ?

question on converters? do they require filling up with fluid prior to installation? or ?

I would, it's like when I change my oil, I always fill the filter with oil half way so I don't start it dry.

Thanks... its hard finding a good shop these days to do the work.. I asked for a front seal .. so the transmission would have to be removed.. which I was quoted on.. I realized the bill was going to be high.. Not a problem.. they have the space and tools.. well

turns out.. they said a pan gasket and tail shaft seal.. they never removed the trans.. so the leak still exists .. took a phone vid of it.. puking out the front.. but I cannot seam to post it here.. from my phone..

I did ask for additional things to be done with the expectation of paying for those services as well.. I could not figure out why the bill was so cheap.. I guess the Dodge was to much for them to handle.. who knows..

I so frustrated with this all..

If it's coming out of the bell housing there is either pump or converter issue. The converter can be easily pressurised and tested for leaks while it is out. The vent won't leak unless the trans is overheated or overfilled. Either way trans needs to come out. Me personally, I would pull the pump and check the bushing. It's no issue with the trans out. New bushing, front seal, o-ring, gasket, and bolt washers. Make sure the converter snout isn't worn. Check the converter for leaks. That way it leaves no avenue for addition leak paths from the bell housing. $20 worth of parts if you save the fluid in a clean container.
Doug

Gee pretty easy to see if it's a pan gasket leak or the tailshaft. The tailshaft seal a really easy replacement. But if the leak is in the bellhousing area it's neither of those.

Ya it leaks alot. More at highway speed. It drips onto the exhaust. Looks really ugly in the rear view mirror. I did pull over looked underneath just pouring out.

Get under it, clean everything off & then see where the leak really is.

I want to add a couple details to Doug's advise. I like to snug up the kickdown band to hold the clutch packs in position as well as pushing on the input shaft as you pull the pump-for the same reason. You will need a slide hammer to pop the pump out, 3/8" threads are cut in two of the pump bolt pattern holes. Don't forget to readjust the band when reinstalling the pump. Do not "force" anything together!
Mike

How do you do that, when you fill the pan its already in fluid?

check what he said in #7. He asked if he should put some transmission oil in his converter before he puts it on the transmission, so it's not dry. I just added the when I change my oil filter I add oil to it before I install it, so i don't start with a dry filter, same thing with a transmission converter.

check what he said in #7. He asked if he should put some transmission oil in his converter before he puts it on the transmission, so it's not dry. I just added the when I change my oil filter I add oil to it before I install it, so i don't start with a dry filter, same thing with a transmission converter.
Yes.

I always put at least 1/2 quart into the converter before sliding it into the trans.

Auto Transport Service
Back