• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Hemi Torqueflite ??'s

Hemi2Much

Local time
6:14 PM
Reaction score
1966 Coronet true 426 Hemi

Here is my dilemma. I have the original Hemi 727 transmission shell and some of the transmission parts that came out of it but the trans was taken apart a LONG time ago so most of everything has rust on it including the valve body.
Would I be better off finding a replacement Transmission or having the original trans built with all new internals?
What would be the best way to find someone willing to build the original back to factory or better?

New internals. VB itself is aluminum, so it won't rust; it's internals are steel-so very light pressure with some 1200grit& ATF might work. My old race trans had a hemi drum that came from the junk-pile from a trans shop(worked great). Keep all the originals that you can. I'm sure more comments will follow . Forabodiesonly.com also has a couple guys that are pretty darn good. Don't have to join, scroll thru the drivetrain section(can't remember their names). Maybe 'dvw' will chime in.

rebuilt your original thats a no brainer

Yeah, what they said! And, there are some newer parts from the 727 Diesel transmissions that make that trans even more robust than
it was originally designed if you want to go that route. Find someone that knows what they're doing and have them go through it.
You won't be sorry. There's a YouTube video from Precision Transmission that
lays it all out.

Last edited:
Definitely rebuild your original case. Although these early Hemi cars are not as numbers-matchy as '68 and newer, the case would still decode to Hemi if original.
If you can come up with later motorhome 727, it will have 4-gear planetaries, plus likely a part throttle kick down valve body. The wider Hemi 5-clutch front drum and kick down band are available from A&A Transmission, plus other parts. The larger 1967 and newer input shaft and front pump parts will allow better selection of torque converters. Some of the newer stuff is not strictly stock for a 1966 Hemi 727, but is interchangeable and will be visually undetectable and make for a happier driving experience.

Definitely use that hemi case. If it is the right one, what is the number on the drives side pan rail?

The later motorhome planetaries have different splines than a 1966 trans.

you don’t really need the hemi internals or 4 gear planetaries to make it work or live behind a powerful engine. You can save some money there if yours are not good or missing.

were is @dvw

I would use what ever internals avail to make it the best trans i needed. .

Or sell me the case .LOL

1966 Coronet true 426 Hemi

Here is my dilemma. I have the original Hemi 727 transmission shell and some of the transmission parts that came out of it but the trans was taken apart a LONG time ago so most of everything has rust on it including the valve body.
Would I be better off finding a replacement Transmission or having the original trans built with all new internals?
What would be the best way to find someone willing to build the original back to factory or better?
Since your in Alabama i would get in touch with member JERRY HALL,HE mite be your neighbour.

They sell a really good rust remover in a gray bottle at Oreilly's auto parts , I think it is called Rust-b-gone, its amazing stuff. won't hurt anything but eats off the rust, I used it on my rusted axle parts. Never again will I wire wheel or sand off rust. Believe me you will love the stuff. so easy to use.

Depends on what you want to do with it. If is matching number and its a resto using at least the case would be nice. The internals are heavy. Really not needed. The front band is pricey. Other than that its a standard build. It'll have the nice governor for high rpm upshift in drive. I wouldn't use the heavy internals to race. Or sell it to someone that just has to have a real Hemi trans for big $.
Doug

Depends on what you want to do with it. If is matching number and its a resto using at least the case would be nice. The internals are heavy. Really not needed. The front band is pricey. Other than that its a standard build. It'll have the nice governor for high rpm upshift in drive. I wouldn't use the heavy internals to race. Or sell it to someone that just has to have a real Hemi trans for big $.
Doug
My plan for the car is to NOT do a complete restoration on it but revive the car and make it driveable again. The car sat for over 50 years. The engine is being worked on right now and the transmission is one of the bigger issues after the engine.
I hope to have the engine back before the end of the year. From my understanding, it is a 1967 replacement engine block and the transmission was torn apart and never put back together. I just want the car to be reliable and drivable. I will not be drag racing it. What I want is a weekend cruiser and show the car in an unrestored condition. The car still retains most of the lettering he had on the car when he drag-raced it. So I'd like to keep as much of the authenticity and originality of the car as possible.

Auto Transport Service
Back