• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 not shifting 64 sportfury street wedge

Nick ciavarino

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
I tried adjusting with info from shop manual I can't seem to get it right.So as you can see by pics I put a weight on gas pedal to hold it down and tied back lever on tranny someone told me you can adjust that way. It seems I don't have much more thread leaf on rod.
20200604_192437.jpg
20200604_094543.jpg 20200604_192453.jpg 20200604_192558.jpg 20200604_094349.jpg

You probably need to fabricate an extension on ur upper rod. Small block? Not a 3-piece rod setup?

You probably have the wrong rod. It could be a small block two barrel rod. Find the right rod or modify the one you have.

Unhook the linkage here...
Screenshot_20200604-225238.jpg

Push and hold the kickdown rod on the trans all the way back till it stops.

By hand hold the carburetor wide open and see how it lines up with the kickdown rod. Adjust till they both line up with each other and then re-attach.

what do you mean not shifting? no up shift or no down shift. how about if you shift manually by the shifter? if your trans is original it has no part throttle kick down, it will not drop down a gear when you floor it unless it is shifted by hand. is the fluid level correct? needs to be checked running in neutral

what do you mean not shifting? no up shift or no down shift. how about if you shift manually by the shifter? if your trans is original it has no part throttle kick down, it will not drop down a gear when you floor it unless it is shifted by hand. is the fluid level correct? needs to be checked running in neutral
No upshift

I have a '63 PB trans and had to rework the kick down rod as it originally had a 2bbl carb. As posted the older 727's didn't have on-demand downshifting unless WOT. Cable shift design ended after '65. Adjusting the kick down is posted and when doing this be sure you don't over adjust where the trans lever binds up at WOT; but if you have the 2bbl rod it will likely be maxed (no or only a couple threads left) before you could do this. The automatic shift points suck in these older 727's unless flooring it (aside from some heady modifications). Anything less than WOT has you in 3rd gear around 25 MPH. If I floor mine I reach 3rd gear at around 70 + MPH. Lengthening the kick down will accomplish a little up shift delay btw 1st and 2nd gear with a harsher shift; but I didn't find any difference with 3rd gear. I also installed a shift kit years ago set to medium shift throw. Hope you find desired results after doing the checks posted - if you don't maybe toss out more details as to what you're experiencing...you say no up shift. Is this btw 1st and 2nd, or 3rd? It could be a cable shift adjustment is necessary before more involved gremlins...

Auto Transport Service
Back