• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 shift points/slipping

69general

Local time
3:48 PM
Reaction score
69 charger 440 with 727 torqueflite. Shift points seem to be random. For the most part 1st to 2nd shifts around 2000 rpm at about 20-25 mph and 2nd to 3rd usually around 2500 rpm give or take. Shifts hard but I believe it’s a built transmission so I think a little rougher shift should be normal if I’m not mistaken. My concern is Sometimes it’s like it wants to hold 2nd and doesn’t want to shift to 3rd but once you stop or let off a bit and go again it will shift fine. Also slips from 2nd to 3rd every so often. Keep in mind this is normal driving and not matting it. I have the lokar kick down adjusted in sync with throttle. So when the throttle is wide open the kick down is all the way to the rear of the car as far back as it can go. There was no kick down on it when I bought it but didn’t seem to have this issue then. Possible just needs adjustment? As transmission is a few years old but only around 7000 miles. I’m sure the thoughts you guys have are the same thoughts I’m having. “Rebuild”. Fluid level is full while hot in neutral. Running dexron 111/Mercon atf. Also for the life of me can not get the b&m Pan to quit leaking on the front right corner. Only leaks when hot. New gasket and the pan is cast so it’s not warped and I snubbed pan bolts good and have checked frequently to make sure they are not coming loose but never torqued as don’t want to over tighten. Thanks for your guys input and sorry for the long post.

The leak is probably the dipstick tube. Drain some oil, clean the tube and transmission real good. Put some sealer on the tube and put it back in.

Last edited:
If this trans was operated for any length of time with no throttle pressure rod/cable attached it is most likely damaged. Only manual VB equipped units will operate w/o throttle pressure added to balance against governor pressure, slippage is guaranteed otherwise.
Mike

If this trans was operated for any length of time with no throttle pressure rod/cable attached it is most likely damaged. Only manual VB equipped units will operate w/o throttle pressure added to balance against governor pressure, slippage is guaranteed otherwise.
Mike
This is correct^^^which is why I'm done with trying to adjust the kick down properly, been through 2 trannys, heard the lokar system is not the perfect answer either so I'm going with a manual valve body. I aways shift it manually anyway so no big change for me just hope It will be the last time I replace the damn thing!!

This is correct^^^which is why I'm done with trying to adjust the kick down properly, been through 2 trannys, heard the lokar system is not the perfect answer either so I'm going with a manual valve body. I aways shift it manually anyway so no big change for me just hope It will be the last time I replace the damn thing!!
I have a manual reverse pattern VB in my 66 and I enjoy shifting gears. My 65 will have a RPVB also as John Cope highly recommended manual operation at my horsepower level.
Mike

The leak is probably the dipstick tube. Drain some oil, clean the tube and transmission real good. Put some sealer on the tube and put it back in.
That was my initial thoughts but it’s not leaking on the tube, you can see it seeping out from between the pan and bottom of transmission. I may have to pull it off and try another gasket or I may just go back to a stock pan and see if that changes

I may try just shifting manually next time I have it out and see what happens. Worst case I guess I’m dropping the transmission at some point

If it slips 2nd to 3rd it is not a band adjustment. During the 2-3 shift the KD band releases and the high/rev clutch applies. There may be damage to the clutch from operating at low pressure during the shift from lack of throttle valve linkage (kickdown). Pull the pan. See what's lying in the bottom.
Doug

I did a trans overhaul for a buddy who didn't have proper kickdown linkage for his 727. since he mainly raced his 'Cuda, he just wired the kickdown lever all the way ahead. One day, it would not back up any more, so he called me. I dropped the pan, and all the reverse servo stuff was laying in the pan. The apply strut was broken, as was the servo piston. The sheet metal retainer was deformed, and everything got pressured past the retainer snap ring. It was a mess. I told him I would not fix it unless he either bought linkage for it or installed a manual shift valve body. He ended up finding kickdown linkage for it.

If it slips 2nd to 3rd it is not a band adjustment. During the 2-3 shift the KD band releases and the high/rev clutch applies. There may be damage to the clutch from operating at low pressure during the shift from lack of throttle valve linkage (kickdown). Pull the pan. See what's lying in the bottom.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back