• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 shifter adjustment

ksurfer2

Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
I have a column shifted 727 tranny in my 69 rr. All gears engage and shift fine, except that it will not go into first gear with the shifter (even sitting still engine off). Where should I look for the issue? I am not thinking it is the linkage adjustment at the tranny because all the other gears engage without issue. Thoughts? Service manual did not provide any insite, nor did a forum search.

With the carb at rest. The shifter linkage should be pulled all the way forward. With the back of the slot touching the rear part of the carb pivot. When the throttle is Wide open the rods should be pushed all the way back and down Check the play at the transmission it should be all the way engaged towards the back. If it is not make the adjustment so that its all the way engaged at WOT.

Is your linkage all sloppy? If there is play in it the movement may not allow it to select first gear.

Look at the linkage as you put in in 1st, does the lever hit the retaining ring on the brake booster under the hood? If so, loosen it and spin the ring so it doesn't hit it. Good Luck

Auto Transport Service
Back