• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 to 4 speed conversion

mopar..madness

Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
I need as bit of assistance with converting my 727 to a 4 speed. I know Brewsters has a kit , but their basic kit starts $3750 for B Bodies. I am thinking I can do it cheaper on my own. I am sure more than one of the community has done this pre the kits from passion, brewsters, and kessler. If so is it worth it? By chance did ya document it? Any and all help would be appriciated!

Thanks,

Mopar..Madness

I am in the same process of converting my 727 to a 4 speed. I have been buying the parts separately over the last year. Bellhousing here, 833 tran there, flywheel etc. I believe I have the all the parts I need. I have spent about $2700 give or take with mostly original stuff. Most of my parts have come from Ebay, it takes time, and I am in no hurry but in the long run I feel I have saved some money and learned alot along the way. I do have a list of the parts that are needed, I could scan and attach if you like. The biggest thing is to make sure that the flywheel size 11" or 10 1/2" you are going to use and the number of teeth is compatible with the bellhousing, clutch and pressure plate and starter. Also if you are going to use the 18 spline (Hemi) trans or 23 spline trans that all the above components "talk" to each other.

ChargerRTguy the list would be great and much appriciated! You can email it if you wish at [email protected] as for the saving thats what I thought about $1000 to $1500 difference for a brewers kit

4 Speed

Glad to help. I will email the list.
if anybody else is interested, I can email my list.

Having done this on my 73 Roadrunner, I strongly reccommend going with a 10.5" clutch. The discs and pressure plates are way better than they were back in the day so going for the bigger 143 tooth flywheel doesn't make sense. Trust me, when you get to the starter and header portion of your exercise, you WILL thank me. Guess how I know.......

Conversion parts list

Here is my list. Hopefully, I did not forget any parts. Rev might be right on the 10 1/2" clutch, but with my 440 and all the torque, I felt the 11" was the choice for me. Besides, that is the type that was used in early 68's with the big blocks.

Attachments

• 4SPEED1.jpg
    4SPEED1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 4,126
  • 4SPEED2.jpg
    4SPEED2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 4,034
Thanks for the list, I have the A-833 and the B-Housing. Im workin on getting all of it together myself rather slowly. Can you put up a price here or do we email for that part of it? Mine is a 73 and i have been trying to get all the assembly for under the dash, anyone who could tell me how much of a job it is id very grateful..

Glad the list helped. As for the price of the parts, it depends on the condition, where you purchase it from, if it's been restored etc. My list of parts is just what it is, a list of what will be needed, not parts for sale. In regards to the assembly, the clutch pedal and brake pedal setup is one unit. You have to remove the old brake pedal assembly, it also might require dropping the steering column to get at the bolts. Worse case would be removing the dash, not sure on a '73. I had mine all apart so it was not too bad. Once the old pedal setup is out, the new one will bolt in its place.

Glad the list helped. As for the price of the parts, it depends on the condition, where you purchase it from, if it's been restored etc. My list of parts is just what it is, a list of what will be needed, not parts for sale. In regards to the assembly, the clutch pedal and brake pedal setup is one unit. You have to remove the old brake pedal assembly, it also might require dropping the steering column to get at the bolts. Worse case would be removing the dash, not sure on a '73. I had mine all apart so it was not too bad. Once the old pedal setup is out, the new one will bolt in its place.

I thank you, its just i needed to know because with the shape im in i thought i may need to get my son or someone to do it, sounds like i may be able to do the work myself, first i have to get the pedal assembly and any parts i may need to take the one out and put these in when i can get them. I read it wrong i was thinking you may have the set up needed, i cant at this time buy them but in a month or so i may IF you hear of anyone that has them, all i have now is the 4-speed transmission and b- housing.. Shifter... thanks again. Ron

I was reading some more here and you say you had the A-833 trans... Do you have the shifter bracket on the back of the tail shaft? there would be one in the front of course im just asking if yours has the one on the rear (tailshaft) as well.. Thanks. Ron

Hello Ron, my trans has only the front shifter bracket. It was manufactured in Dec of 66. The 833 trans manufactured starting in 70 had both the front and the back tailshaft mounting brackets. The reason for this is that the trans was used for the B bodies as well as the new E bodies. The 73 Road Runner being a B body would use the front shift mount. I used to have a 73 Road Runner in my senior year in H S. It was metallic silver with a red stripe, had a 340 4-barrel with an 727 slapstick. I still regret selling it.

Hello Ron, my trans has only the front shifter bracket. It was manufactured in Dec of 66. The 833 trans manufactured starting in 70 had both the front and the back tailshaft mounting brackets. The reason for this is that the trans was used for the B bodies as well as the new E bodies. The 73 Road Runner being a B body would use the front shift mount. I used to have a 73 Road Runner in my senior year in H S. It was metallic silver with a red stripe, had a 340 4-barrel with an 727 slapstick. I still regret selling it.

YEP, I know why, someone was telling me that in reality the 73 is both b and e body Didn't make any sense, my 833 was manufactured in 1970 according to the numbers, and it was taken out of a 70 Challenger. Mine does have the both of them. The "Regret selling it" part i understand all to well, this 73 is a clone just to be honest, It came to me with all the RR stuff and everyone said i may as well finish it that way and having the money thats in it, i just didn't even think about it, just did it. BUT the regret part is so many its unreal, i had three RR 68-70 and REGRET selling them all especially the 69 being only 5 years old when i got it. So many happy memory's and the way it ran I taught my girlfriend how to drive a 4- speed in that car, still have the girlfriend, married her in 1977.... so i regret the 69 more then the others but do understand what your saying. I really wish you luck with your Charger they are nice also, heck i cant name a Mopar that isint, my first mopar was a 67 Charger, remember the dash on them? I went from a 63 Impala SS to that car and it was like a CIVIC going to a Caddy, saying CIVIC gives me the sweats..... Have a great day and thank you for the help. Ron.

I have a small picture of a 66-67 Charger dash i can put in here if you would want to see it, they call those lights at that time, electroluminescence lit

I have a 4spd trans. I think from 64. I have listed the trans not long ago titled identify the trans. I don't know anything about it but if your interested it's for sale.
AL
Jersey Shore Area

If you use the front mounting pad on your trans, this is where it ends up....

Attachments

• DSCN0881.jpg
    DSCN0881.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 3,732
Rev, Yes sir, right where its supposed to be... You have your gauges in the same place as mine, You at some place have heard me say my car is a clone im sure, so you'll know why im asking, you don't know where i could get the roadrunner emblem on the dash at a decent price would you? I put the sound proofing in mine to and havent had it out yet, Does it make a noticeable difference? Its for heat to, but should make a difference in riding also. Please pm me any information if you don't mind, i don't want to interfere with these guys and there work...Thanks to everyone for the help here. Ron

Ron, sorry I cannot be of much more help. It's been way too long since I worked on my 73. I used to have a Chiltons book for the car, not sure if it went with it or I have it somewhere. I will look for it.

Ron, sorry I cannot be of much more help. It's been way too long since I worked on my 73. I used to have a Chiltons book for the car, not sure if it went with it or I have it somewhere. I will look for it.

No you don't have to do that i have what i came for, information, you helped me trust me! I have the books.. Thanks Ron

Here is my list. Hopefully, I did not forget any parts. Rev might be right on the 10 1/2" clutch, but with my 440 and all the torque, I felt the 11" was the choice for me. Besides, that is the type that was used in early 68's with the big blocks.

This list is great. I too am in the process of collecting all the parts for my swap. All told, I think I'll have saved right around the $1000-1500 mark or more.

Rev...I am sure that when it comes time for the install, I'll be hitting you up for tips since you've already been through it on a 73.

i have about 1200 in the conversion right now for mine. but i am doing most of the work myself including a rebuild of the 833 and its a 23 spline unit. not the 18
craigslist has been good to me...

all im missing from the conversion right now is the carpet and a few bolts...the most exspensive part for me was the shifter and the rods. i could not find what i needed used..

Auto Transport Service
Back