• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 to Tremec TKX 5 Speed in a 64 Dodge

Charlie Brown

Local time
10:15 PM
Reaction score
THINKING of this conversion for a future project. I've read quite a bit about this conversion on FBBO, but most are for 66 - 70 models. I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this on a 62-65 B body and what, if any, are the challenges. Two concerns are trans tunnel mods and shifter location. I'd probably have SST supply a complete kit.

good call on going with SST :p

did it for my 66 (TKO) - was a perfect fit with center console and minimal tunnel mod

center console line up is a consideration but if no center console there is a bit more freedom for placement

give them a call - they would know if someone’s already got a tkx with you era body style

watermelon

Just so you know, US Car Tools was offering a tunnel replacement, to adapt the mid-60's B bodies for the new OD trans available. I talked with the owner last year at Carlisle, and seemed like a nice set up...

Just so you know, US Car Tools was offering a tunnel replacement, to adapt the mid-60's B bodies for the new OD trans available. I talked with the owner last year at Carlisle, and seemed like a nice set up...
I saw those advertised on their web site. Over 800 bucks.

Did a TKO in a 65 Belvedere with a Keisler kit (now SST)way back in 2003.
No trans tunnel mods. Had to cut a boss that was on the right side of the trans.
Not much for tunnel clearance.Tunnel was cut center for shifter.
Shifter location on the Tremec now have factory location left of tunnel center.
That is all I can tell you. I have no idea the difference between a TKO and the later TKX.

I am putting an SST TKO in my 65 coronet 500 as we speak. It gas been a HUGH learning experience but nothing too crazy. Shane at Silver Sport has been amazing to work with!

I had to cut the floor but all the replacement sheetmetal is in the kit. Pretty easy there. I ran into an issue with the shifter location but they made me a custom shifter nub to accommodate wha I was working with.

So far, so good. Fun learning for sure!

I can share pictures if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
I am putting an SST TKO in my 65 coronet 500 as we speak. It gas been a HUGH learning experience but nothing too crazy. Shane at Silver Sport has been amazing to work with!

I had to cut the floor but all the replacement sheetmetal is in the kit. Pretty easy there. I ran into an issue with the shifter location but they made me a custom shifter nub to accommodate wha I was working with.

So far, so good. Fun learning for sure!

U can share pictures if anyone is interested.
Pls do.

Auto Transport Service
Back