• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Torqueflite is leaking from oil pump housing.

71SandbugCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
1971 Dodge Charger SE with 440

The 727 Torqueflite is leaking from oil pump housing. My mechanic says he will have to send out to rebuild. Is this needed and does it need to be rebuilt? If so, what’s a reasonable estimate?

Can you identify where it was leaking? From the perimeter of the pump housing or from where the shaft goes through it? Having just gone through this, it could be one of a couple of things to try first to avoid a full rebuild. If it is coming from the shaft, it could be as easy as the shaft seal. Or, it could be the shaft bushing. With the help of some very smart people, we were able to replace the shaft bushing at the track last weekend for a total of about $15 in parts. If the leak is from the perimeter of the pump housing, it could be the pump gasket or o-ring. Both cheap and available at an auto parts store.

I would look into these fixes before going through a full (and expensive) rebuild.

Your mechanic isnt much of a repair guy. Worst part is pulling the trans. Then which part is causing the leak? Pump seal/bushing, outer O-ring and gasket, or the vent spitting. The converter hub looks good? Easy to pressure test. The front pump R&R with replacing the bushing is 30 minutes tops.
Doug

Here's a website for Service Manuals. You'll need to download a Service for a 73 Charger or a 70 to have the transmission service section, they are the same. Repairing parts in pump housing is pretty simple. One thing if pulling front housing is to tighten front band tight. If you forget you'll have a pile parts come out that don't need to. Ask me how I know. It has a 71 body manual.
Service Manuals – MyMopar
Edit Do not remove transmission from car an leave torque converter on engine. The guys that removed engine from my car did that. The pump bushHad to be replaced that started my education on transmissions.

Last edited:
Is the transmission shifting/working good and how does the fluid smell? If it's shifting good and the fluid isn't burnt then I would find another Mec a nic.

1971 Dodge Charger SE with 440

The 727 Torqueflite is leaking from oil pump housing. My mechanic says he will have to send out to rebuild. Is this needed and does it need to be rebuilt? If so, what’s a reasonable estimate?
On a 727 the vent is behind the converter on the pump. That could be leaking if it is overfilled, or if it has an internal sealing issue. The O-ring around the pump could be leaking and each pump bolt has a sealing washer. Then you have the front seal. To pull the pump and re seal it with a new bushing and seal is not a big deal. I used to do it all the time. But a 727 is so easy to take apart if it has a lot of time or miles on it, then it would be a no brainer to just do the complete transmission while out. Most of the work is the R&R

Auto Transport Service
Back