• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Tranny Issue Question ?

70rcode

Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know why a perfectly normal stock 727 tranny After a shop uprade-conversion to full Race, manual only, reverse pattern after immediate vehicle install would be so much harder (2 or 3X) to push & roll around in Neutral with engine off ?..... Thx,.....tom.

Hey Tom. Maybe you're just tired from installing the transmission?

With the rear wheels off the ground do you notice it's harder to turn the wheels?

Naw....PP spinach & Wheaties ......Can't recall much hand turning wheel effort for that comparison, but had lots of pushing car in Neutral in & out garage... Noticed needed much more umph immed after tranny install no other changes made.

Was the extension housing bushing replaced? Hopefully the total endplay isn't tight. .012"-.015" should be good for a full race unit.

Last edited:
I take it you are talking way more work done than a full race style valve body??

The factory 727 tranny, at only 10k miles... I told the shop boss to build a hard shifting, basic, most reliable 1/4 mile race unit with revrs valve body, usual hi perf hi frictions & Bands, full pressure manual only , with no trans-brake mods done...don't recall any extension housing bearing work details. Typical strip-ocassional short usage tranny build.

If the clutch clearance is tightened up it makes them harder to rotate, especially the front clutch.
Doug

If the clutch clearance is tightened up it makes them harder to rotate, especially the front clutch.
Doug

I noticed my trans would turn hard in one direction and easy in the other. (Turning driveshaft by hand)

Being my first race bilt 727 & wanting hard no slip manual shifts ....asking if the hard Neutral roll deal is likely functionality normal & good or a bit off & needs looking into ? ...I just have no experience base with this tranny mod & Not really comfortable with band adjust much less dropping the pan....Anything with "planetary" got to be some Alien, not from this planet !

I wouldn't worry about it.
Doug

I'll just roll with it for now.....thx for the info,...tom.

First, it is no longer a " perfectly normal 727 " anymore. Unless this was the first "build" done by the rebuilder, They would be the people to ask these questions to. Make sense ? After all we don't know anything about what he did and what condition the other parts are in. Only he does.
Just going with it ? Do so at your own risk.

Auto Transport Service
Back