• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 tranny rebuild opinions

KidCoronet

Local time
2:01 PM
Reaction score
I'm in the process of resurrecting my 68 Coronet R/T from the garage after a 15 year nap. I just dropped of the 440 at the machine shop and am now trying to decide what to do about my transmission. After decoding things I found out it wasn't original to the car (the motor is) and came out of a 68 2-barrel Charger. So not a heavy-duty version that originally came with the 440 magnums. A shift kit was put in about 16 years ago and it shifted solid from 1st to 2nd but kind of always rolled into 3rd. It also always had fluid leaks. So I'm deciding whether it makes more sense to rebuild this 68 2-barrel version with beefier parts (drum, clutches, etc) or spend the money for a more heavy-duty version already rebuilt? Appreciate any insight!

Thanks, Jon

How do you plan to use the car? Street/strip? Show cruiser?

It may come down to cost VS usage/need. I would just rebuild and beef up the one you have (of course I have been rebuilding TFs since 1971).
Mike

That trans will be OK AND you can upgrade the internals with HD pieces
I do have a 67 HD trans that is out of a 1967 RT that has been sitting for
40 years with the HD stuff and all original =$275.00 plus shipping

I used to race it a bunch when I was younger but atp it will be more of just a cruiser...with an occasional beating. The motor was about 500 hp and should be about the same when it comes back. Thanks, Jon

You can definitely rebuild that trans and put in some better parts for not alot of money. First
thing is to look for the numbers on the pan rail to see what it exactly is. Then take it apart and
inspect the valve body, muck on the bottom of the pan, and the clutch packs.

Thanks for the input..just what I needed. I think I'll keep it simple and beef this one up. Thanks for the offer GTX John..if things go south, I'll be looking you up...now to find a good shop to work on it.

As long as the front drum holds 4 clutches (not3) you don't need much. I'd like to see the 3.8 or 4.2 lever. The 71 and newer front drum and reaction shaft support are a nice upgrade. But they aren't necessary unless you are racing a 10 second car. 3 pin planets live fine, Standard Rabestos or Borg Warner frictions work fine. Get your parts here and save dollars. Trans Parts Online 727 727 Transmission Parts PN#K225 $125. I've used plenty of these with no issues.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back