• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Trans / Condition?

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:17 PM
Reaction score
I have the early 727, ('62) and was wondering if there is a way to tell the condition of it without doing a total teardown? It seemed to operate ok when I first bought the car. There isn't any leaks. Just cutting corners at the moment due to lack of funds. Planning on doing a rebuild in the future or replacement with a newer generation trans. Just wondering if it's feasible to take a chance on what I already have.

Thanks in advance!

About all you can do it pull the pan and check the colour of the fluid, look for particles or evidence of wear and note how clean the filter is. If it has been slipping it should be pretty obvious.

Agreed, fluid and filter conditions will give you some idea. The trans didn't slip and shifted alright.
Is there a way to tell how much band material you might have left by the adjustment bolt location?

Clutch packs and servos can be pressure tested if you remove the valve body and have an air compressor. The manual for this can be gotten at any good trans parts shop. If clutch packs or bands are worn the will be lots of gritty residue in the pan and on the filter. If fluid is not red in color or smells burnt it will need to be rebuilt.

Auto Transport Service
Back