• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Transmission Help Please

RT6PK

Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
I finally found the source of the leak on my 727. It is a little 1/2" plug that looks like a little freeze plug. It is located just above the rear of the pan. Now, can anyone tell me what this plug is? Does the entire trans have to come out and apart to fix/replace it? It looks like part of the tail shaft casting is partially blocking it. Can I just use some of that Blue Devil Trans Stop Leak? If I drop the pan, can I JB Weld it from the inside? Would silicon be better?

20180719_184449.jpg

Last edited:
I think that is the rear band pivot shaft. It has "O" rings that seal it.

A dab of RTV might fix it...clean it well first and squirting the whole tube on it...kidding.

Jeff

Yes, that is the reverse band linkage pivot shaft. It has 2 grooves but I have never taken one out with more than one o-ring on it (seal kits only contain 1 ). I have sawn the retaining tab off and with the pan off released the band adjuster screw and cleaned up the shaft and bore, replaced the o-ring, and fabbed a little tab from steel to keep the shaft in place. Not "correct" but less work! Adjust those bands while you are under there.
Mike

You can drop the pan and remove the tailhousing to repair that in the car. Drop the fluid and pan, remove the rear band servo piston, take out the band anchor deal, and pull the housing and pop the shaft out. It's an o-ring, and silicone will probably slow the leak but not stop it. I wouldn't use JB weld on it.

No need to dissemble. Push pin in until it bottoms. Clean with brake-kleen and compressed air. Apply some quality RTV such as Ultra Grey to the center of the pin. Then take a putty knife and smooth it until the cavity around the pin is filled. Done it many times. never a leak. I actually do this on every 727 build I do.
Doug

No need to dissemble. Push pin in until it bottoms. Clean with brake-kleen and compressed air. Apply some quality RTV such as Ultra Grey to the center of the pin. Then take a putty knife and smooth it until the cavity around the pin is filled. Done it many times. never a leak. I actually do this on every 727 build I do.
Doug
I like it!

Jeff

Auto Transport Service
Back