• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 transmission paint?

Aeronet

Local time
4:38 PM
Reaction score
In 2000 I bought a 1973 Charger with a 400 and 727. The transmission was painted green. It looked factory. The car was made in St. Louis.
I don't think the factory painted automatic transmissions, but this has always puzzled me.

Years ago we had a local rebuilder that painted their units green... but thats about it

Bare aluminum. I have painted them with aluminum spray paint. Looks awful at first, but tones down later. Looks real close but takes a while.
Doug

I worked with a guy at the Dodge dealership that painted everything he worked on blue.Even if was only a spot of paint on small parts.It was his signature.That way if any comebacks he would own up to it.

I think the mystery is solved. The transmission was fully assembled when painted so it looked factory.
Yeah, that way they'd know if it was their transmission.
Thanks.

Funny thing is, I liked the color enough that for a couple of years I actually looked around for Chrysler green transmission paint. I never found any.

All O&M versions I've never seen paint. One of our local re-man's also used green. I painted my drag trans's black, heat dissipation.

I painted mine!

image000000-4.jpg

image000001 (2).jpg

Jeff

This silver look is what I was talking about. The shine will tone down and look really close to factory.
Doug

Painted mine also. Don't remember what I used though...Some kind of Rust-oleum Aluminum..

IMG_4083[1].JPG IMG_4086[1].JPG

This silver look is what I was talking about. The shine will tone down and look really close to factory.
Doug
You can buy a "cast aluminum" paint that you cannot tell is paint. I paint my intakes with it. Swapped three out on the dyno and the operaror/owner helping me didn't even know they were painted.

Holley SD 90%.JPG

Many years back I painted mine black because I had read that black draws out some of the heat and runs cooler....I think it might have been a Super Chevy magazine lol.:lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back