• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 transmission question

MTBRider

Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
Working on a project for a friend and I’m looking for advice on what to do about a completely empty 727 tranny that’s in the car. I don’t know much about what was done to the car before I got it but it seems the transmission was installed empty (my guess is no fluid put into the converter either). I’m starting to fill through the dipstick and I’m concerned that maybe I need to pull the tranny out and fill the converter or will it get filled by the pump when I get it running? Just don’t want to cause any damage that can be prevented.
Thanks for any help

Most guys will dump a couple qts. In the converter at install,
But, many converters are put in empty and are filled by the trans pump once started.
If it's all installed and ready to go I know what I would do. :D
I think you will be fine.

Put 4-5 quarts of tranny fluid in, then start the car and then fill the transmission to the full mark. The first component in any automatic transmission that gets ATF is the front pump, second is the torque converter.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I’m just not that familiar with auto trans stuff.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I’m just not that familiar with auto trans stuff.
What R/T below says is true.....and important. And hopefully whoever installed the converter also lubed the snout of the converter before sticking it in. And if it were me doing what you are I'd go with no less than 5 quarts or even more. Does it have a stock pan or one that holds more capacity? Not going to hurt anything being a bit overfull and that will help get the fluid to the key areas sooner once you hit the key. Also, let the fluid 'settle' down and check the stick before starting. If it shows a quart over at that point, I would stick in another quart and let it settle. Also wouldn't hurt to pull the coil wire and just let the starter help fill up the converter. Better than letting it fire up right off the bat and spin things at 800 rpm.....

Start the car in neutral, not park. The trans will not pump in park.

Thanks everyone for the help. I put in 4 quarts and it shows a little overfull but I’m going to crank it over a couple of times before I try to run it.
Just filled the radiator and noticed slight leaking from the front head bolts on each side so I’m going to deal with that before firing up. Picking up this project after someone else started it is proving to be interesting at least.

Thanks everyone for the help. I put in 4 quarts and it shows a little overfull but I’m going to crank it over a couple of times before I try to run it.
Just filled the radiator and noticed slight leaking from the front head bolts on each side so I’m going to deal with that before firing up. Picking up this project after someone else started it is proving to be interesting at least.
Look that leak over close, may be from exhaust manifold / header bolt.
Good time to ck. And see if there is sealer on them. They go to water.

Auto Transport Service
Back