• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 valvebody question.

PolyJon

Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
Hi b-bods.
Simple question, can you convert a normal vb to reverse pattern yourself?

I have a ‘full manual’ forward pattern with full-on transgo-3 upgrades.
Can I convert this one myself?

Can’t seem to find a quick ‘yay or nay’.

Thanx from PJ

Last edited:
Yes but you need the proper plate sandwiched on top of VB. There are two places to grind open. Forget if you need to remove any balls in VB. Can done need direction that comes with the plate. May be a different way now, did it in early 70's. Removed it 2 years ago. Think I bought plate from a dealer. No low gear hold back, used 2nd for hold back. Never had a need for low to slow down.

Last edited:
Here is a video, has 2 parts. Don't know what kit he's using? He mentions drill a hole in a plate, didn't do it to mine. If you buy a kit you need instructions!

Many thanx the reply Fran.
I have an old B&M valve body but have no idea what pattern it is, but it obviously has B&M separator plate fitted.
The ytvid shows the B&M transkit upgrade which I did some twenty years ago to a stock vb myself, but was still ‘forward pattern’...
Why the old vb’s don’t have more indication of what they are, is a mystery?

Answer is simple, all started out as "forward", if you converted to reverse, you'd know it.
I put a B&M "shift kit" (forward) in my 727 in '72, a while later the trans failed, burned the rear band & drum in half. That's when a buddy taught me how to rebuild a 727. Figured out it wasn't the B&M shift kit, it was me regularly downshifting into 1 with the Slap Stick.
The early Mopar Bible tells you how to make a manual valve body with their separator plate.
I used a Transgo kit in my tow vehicle. Simple, easy, worked great. Forward shift.

Thanx for the reply 66.
I was talking about VB’s that are removed from the trans.
You have to take them apart to see if they are modified, but the old B&M VB I have, has a B&M separator plate but no info, part number etc.
So how do tell if they are reverse pattern?
Everything else is fairly obvious as I have modified many VB’s both with B&M transkit and transgo’s 1,2 and 3 full manual mods myself.

Auto Transport Service
Back