• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FU64RY

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
Need rebuilt 727 for my slant 6 A100 van.

Does anybody know if any 727 will work in the van without too much modification?

You need a trans from a slant 6 vehicle it has a bellhousing pattern of its own, I've heard about an adapter plate from the factory that was on some to adapt a small block 727 to the slant 6 engine, but I've never seen one.

What trans is in the Van now? Do you need the capacity of the big 727 or will the 904 suffice? Face to mount distance is the same for both transmissions, the 727 and 904 will share the same flexplate, linkages, cooler lines. The 727 is 4.5 inches longer and has a larger output spline.

What trans is in the Van now? Do you need the capacity of the big 727 or will the 904 suffice? Face to mount distance is the same for both transmissions, the 727 and 904 will share the same flexplate, linkages, cooler lines. The 727 is 4.5 inches longer and has a larger output spline.

It now has the 727 factory one.

It shifts hard into 2nd. And you have to have your foot firmly on the brake when you put it into forward or reverse it will jump into gear and squeal the tires.
I took it to a local trans shop and when they were done to a tune of $182 it was worse than when I took it there.
They said something is leaking inside.
They want big bucks to rebuild so I thought i might find one all ready done that somebody has .

I have a /6 trans with 39,000 miles from a Duster?

It now has the 727 factory one.

It shifts hard into 2nd. And you have to have your foot firmly on the brake when you put it into forward or reverse it will jump into gear and squeal the tires.
I took it to a local trans shop and when they were done to a tune of $182 it was worse than when I took it there.
They said something is leaking inside.
They want big bucks to rebuild so I thought i might find one all ready done that somebody has .

If the idle isn't turned way up and the linkage misadjusted, a bad sprag in the converter can cause the condition you are experiencing

If the idle isn't turned way up and the linkage misadjusted, a bad sprag in the converter can cause the condition you are experiencing

Thank you
the shop tried the adjustments several times and it still was the same or worse.
I'll need a converter even if it is not bad if I get another trans.

So the first step should be a new converter?

Throw a shift kit in there and fix the problem.

"EW Transgo SK TFSC shift kit for all Torqueflite three speed transmissions from 1966-UP
This kit corrects the common problems with these transmissins; Premature converter failure and lockup shudder, burps oil out of the vent, front bushing and seal burnup, engages slow after sitting, leaks oil when parked, loss of power when hot, burnup on hot trips, reduces hub breakage, engine bog on start off from stop, reduces harsh reverse, soft, mushy 1-2 shift, extended 2-3 shift. Along with the increased performance from your vehicle, you'll also see an increase in the life of your transmission due to the reduced slippage."

Right Now I have a pretty harsh reverse, not nessicarily chirping the tires harsh, but I'll put the kit in this week and tell you how it goes?

It's cheap and worth a try before you go through the hassle of tearing the tranny down and/or replacing it. Like the guys said it could be the sprag.

FIRST there is no reason at all to "sweat" "needing" a 727 in a slant six van. Put a 904 in there and forget it. I'm talking about strength and reliability, not "whether it fits"

"But if you must" there exists an ADAPTER that was used to mate a V8 727 to a slant. I'm not sure, I think this related to some of the old vans needing the "loop" upper mount, does yours have that?

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=250613

attachment.php

Oddball "van" mount:

05-Alley-Scavengers-Want-My-Torqueflite-Picture-courtesy-of-Murilee-Martin-550x451.jpg

FIRST there is no reason at all to "sweat" "needing" a 727 in a slant six van. Put a 904 in there and forget it. I'm talking about strength and reliability, not "whether it fits"

"But if you must" there exists an ADAPTER that was used to mate a V8 727 to a slant. I'm not sure, I think this related to some of the old vans needing the "loop" upper mount, does yours have that?

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=250613

attachment.php

Oddball "van" mount:

05-Alley-Scavengers-Want-My-Torqueflite-Picture-courtesy-of-Murilee-Martin-550x451.jpg

Yes, mine has the loop and I put in a new bushing in the loop .
Thank You.
Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you
Can you send me a PM with the outcome please?
Steve

Auto Transport Service
Back