• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOUND 73/74 Charger Rear Bumper Brackets PA/NY/NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montclaire

Local time
8:15 AM
Reaction score
Hello, looking for a clean set of rear bumper brackets and support beam for 73/74 Charger. Part numbers should be 3686658/9. I don't need them in a hurry, willing to wait for a nice set at a fair price. Would rather pick them up in the PA/NY/NJ area. Message through board, Thanks.

Do you have a picture of what you are looking for?

I'll take a quick look online, if not I can get a shot of mine tomorrow. They are the big steel brackets that go between the bumper and the tail pan. There is another piece that is basically a reinforcement plate, that bolts between the bracket and the bumper.

They look like this. I believe 71-72 are very similar, pns listed above.

IABgAXBAwUDh8dE1UTVUAnXU4qBhwcDR8qARsZGB0QECwKDxsHPRENBwoQECwaGBsWCRYMGSVAAUNBWE9CVEBJW0oWTBkIDQ.jpg

AFAIK there is no bolt on reinforcement plate for rear bumpers on 73/74 Charger. There is for 73/74 Plymouth RR/SAT but not for Charger. Bumper bolts to the brackets (shown above in reply #4) and brackets bolt to thru tail panel.

Well there is one on my car. It may actually still be usable, but my brackets are heavily rusted on the bumper end and there is some heavy scale on what I could see of the plate. I was going to give the penetrating oil a few days to work before pulling it all apart to see what's what.

Well there is one on my car. It may actually still be usable, but my brackets are heavily rusted on the bumper end and there is some heavy scale on what I could see of the plate. I was going to give the penetrating oil a few days to work before pulling it all apart to see what's what.

Interesting.....

Best way to remove the bumper is to take off the 8 nuts from inside the trunk that attaches the bumper brackets to the tail panel. Also disconnect your wire harness. Take out the bumper as a whole assembly. Then you can do bench work to remove the bumper shell from the brackets, much easier.

I'd be interested in seeing that reinforcement plate if you don't mind posting a pic in here.

Thanks

From the manual, they’re calling it a reinforcement. Essentially a fancy piece of angle, not quite a 90 though.

C3DA3A23-EB13-4425-AEF6-91C5DCB914C2.jpeg

They made a two door coronet in 73? Brace looks the same as what’s in the manual.

No such thing as a 2 door 73/74 Dodge Coronet. Illustration is for the Charger rear bumper. And what is a fastback in the 1973/74 B Body line?

Anyone know if 73/74 bumpers are identical? I think there was a change with e-bodies 73-74 (bulkier bumper for 74) but I don’t know about b’s. Or if it would make any difference with mounting hardware.

Anyone know if 73/74 bumpers are identical? I think there was a change with e-bodies 73-74 (bulkier bumper for 74) but I don’t know about b’s. Or if it would make any difference with mounting hardware.

1971-74 Charger Rear bumper chrome shells can all be inter changed however there appearance differences.

1971 - stand alone, no bumper jack slots
1972 - stand alone, bumper jack slots added
1973-74 - provisions for the rear corner fillers to bolt on. Not noticeable from plain view. 73/74 had the bumper jack slots too.

73 and 74 are EXACT same pieces, just bumper guard cushions are larger on 74s

This bumper gets a notch on underside of the bumper to fit the bumper jack hook. Bumper beam/reinforcement matches this. Not a visible slot.

as mentioned, 71 and 72 bumper itself ( not brackets or whatever else ) are practically the same between them with just the jack slot difference on 72s. these of course doesn’t have the provisions for bumper fillers.

All 71/74 B bodies are W... the diff between Coronet and Charger is the door setup since not anymore 2 door Coronets, so the rest of the VIN determines if Charger or Coronet WH23 or WH43 for example. Same applies to Satellites.

I guess on 75 and 76 where a Coronet Coupe was offered and changed to be a Charger Sport at next year the difference was also supported by the VIN being set as H or M or any other class line allong with the 2 on VIN

Last edited:
@Montclaire there is a guy selling a full bumper assembly in Chicago on $150. The deal is he can’t ship it but needs to be picked up on labor hours.

He was including tail lights, thing I was really interested. If you are able to pick it up we can share the cost keeping the parts each one is needing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back