• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73/74 rear bumper filler

YY1

Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
I bought the (over $200 after shipping) ebay corners-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-74-Pl...PER-FILLER-Pair-New-Reproduction/143601187315

My center was in tact and flexible, so I painted it as close as I could get and am happy.

I read that another member ( @idrivemopar ?) had some issues where the corners and center meet.

I'm sure my center has shrunk a bit as it doesn't go all the way to the landings molded in the corners, however there is enough overlap not to show if.....

I could get the center to not sag at the ends.

I don't remember this being an issue before I took it off.

It did come off bowed toward the rear in the center, but I straightened it and it stayed.

Can anyone elaborate on the issue mentioned?

Thanks.

I am not sure what you mean when you say, sag. However the sun just beats the crap out of these things.
Are your ends original or the new ones. Originals can be restored in most cases by doing 2 things.
You need to re-form them. I made a mold from several pieces of metal strips. Then you need to get a big pan, fill with water and boil the water. With tongs or something similar, dip the pieces in the boiling water for a few seconds. They will then become quite flexible and as quickly as possible put them in the home-made mold. Afterward (or before preferably) clean with Fast Orange or similar that has grit and aloe in it so the material stays pliable but is still being cleaned.
Go here to my website (about halfway down) you'll see what I did and how they came out.
http://www.retrorarities.com/PartsResto/index.html

wow!

I bought the repro corners in the link I posted.

They fit well.

My originals were hardened and one was cracked and missing about a 3/16th inch section.
It looked like it would maybe JB weld back together but after removal, no way.

My center was in decent condition. Just horribly sun scorched.
I spent about an hour with a scuff pad and liquid cleaner to get all the crust off that I could.
Then I used SEM adhesion promoter and a really close to the repro corner spray can color I found at Lowes.

I noticed that there appears to be a metal form inside the center.
I did break it in one place but it is about 8 inches in and after reforming the rest, you can't see it.

I broke it trying to twist it so the ends would be even with the corners or at least on the same level with the bumper.

I've got pics but need to sift through my phone.....

Last edited:
Here is what mine looks like, I put an aluminum strip underneath the center section because the one I purchased was really super flexible and kept sagging under the bumper. I did try an paint, but even using adhesion promotor the paint would crack and not stick very well, so went with natural finish.
20190531_192628.jpg

20190530_160136.jpg

ABC Moparts makes both. filler and end caps. ABCMoparts.com 928-692-7689.
They have a very good reputation for their dashpads

This is the underside of my originals.

Clearly a silvery color.

That's what I remember from seeing them decades ago.

20200605_145100.jpg
20200530_172357.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back