• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 and later big block engine mounts

Paul_G

Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
Whats up with finding replacements? The only complete engine mounts are for the small blocks. For big block engine mounts the only thing available are the inserts. Rock Auto has Anchor, Westar, DEA, and Pioneer inserts, and Energy Suspension Poly inserts.

How much trouble is it pressing the old rubber inserts out and new in?

Anyone using the poly engine mounts? They might be easier to replace since the metal outer shell from the old mount is reused. Do they cause much engine vibration to be felt in the car?

Never have made it but seems to be pretty much straight up. Is just about get straightened and remove old ones and install new ones spreading out the outer shell. They are not really STRICTLY pressed in like control arms bushings I think. I think it can be done a home with a regular bench press. I got also the ANCHOR bushing replacements from Rockauto long time ago, but didn't use them because found NOS full assemblies locally.

MM2326.jpg

Last edited:
doesn't Schumacher sell them?

I'm in the midst of doing this as well. I had my old mounts powdercoated and they broke out the metal insert shell. Lucky you can still buy them for cheap. My intention was to remove the rubber insert from the new ones and replace them with poly. I put a torch to the shell for 5-10 min and was able to pull the new rubber bushing out easily. I didn't understand the energy suspension install directions and called Summit. They sent me a free set of the Prothane inserts. Then I changed my mind on the poly inserts and now ordered another set of OEM metal inserts with the rubber bushings. I didn't want to chance the fact of more vibrations.
Bottom line...I have 2 sets of NEW poly inserts for sale, cheap.

The complete ones in the link are small block. 3642814-5 is not found at NAPA.

Schumaker poly replacement big block mounts. But, out of stock, and $160

These are available. Probably need new rubber. I already have a set that needs new rubber.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-1973-79-Big-Block-Motor-Mounts/322384332950

I wonder if the poly engine mounts would not be so bad since the 73 has K Frame to body rubber isolator bushings?

I think you are overthinking this LOL... with just spending on Rockauto $10 delivered you will get then fixed, probably at home ;)

Only one way to find out. Take off the old mounts and try to press out the old bushings.

I have an Nos Big Block assembly for one side if interested. Would have to check which side...

What Nacho and QuickBpBp said. This is a home job even for an amateur mechanic. A bench vise, hammer, cold chisel and or punch is what you'll need. Remove the old inserts by prying up the insert flanges that perimeter the hole opening on the motor mount brackets. You only have to do one flange per side because you just hammer the insert through from the side that you pried the flange. When installing the new inserts you hammer (roll) the new flanges over to meet the motor mount brackets.

The bent flanges are just at one side of the engine mount bracket, toward to rear. Front side bushing gets a shoulder on outer shell

EM-2369__ra_p.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back