• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73 B Body Axle Swap

MoparMilitia

Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
Afternoon Folks, Happy Labor Day!! So.. just finished dropping my fresh built 0.40 over 440 into my 73 Charger on Friday. Had a BLAST driving it around breaking it in... UNTIL.. that little ol 8.25" sh*t the bed with all that new power. (originally a 318 car...). So.. My questions are as follows.. im 24 years old and have some, but not much cash to play with. so..
What are my options for a newer, beefier axle?
Will an Axle out of a Newer (90's, Early 2000's) Jeep or Dodge Ram 1500 work with some modification? im sure ANYTHING will work with some modification.. but, obviously trying to fine the most cost effective / time effective route to go at this point (winters justt around the corner up here in buffalo...)
OR, who / where has a nice 8 3/4" or Dana they'd be willing to let go of that would fit this car? im from Buffalo, NY, but i am not afraid of a drive. So, Let me know your thoughts, any input is appreciated. sorry if some of this has been covered in past posts, im just really knowledgeable on on mopar engines, ignition systems, the 727's ETC... Axle's will be a new playground for me.

B body 8.75 are pretty plentiful, even if it's a peg leg to get you back on the road. Upgrade to a sure-grip at a later date. 440"

Stick with an 8-3/4 so you can change gear sets easily. Many early-mid C-body 8-3/4's will bolt in and they can still be readily found. You may or may not need to install axle shims to get your pinion angle right. FYI - Your 8-1/4 brakes will swap right over to an 8-3/4 axle.

Thanks guys! ive been looking around for a 8 3/4, not much luck so far. what has to change for that setup, will i need a new / custom driveshaft at that point?

Dana 60's are Plentiful around here out of Ram 1500 / 2500's... ill rock 8 lug on my charger, idc lol. i know when i get a little bit more money it wouldnt be hard to get the shafts made up to get it back to 5 lug... im just not sure on the trucks dana's measurements and how itd fit up under the car. id have to imagine the span between the flanges would be considerably wider.. leaf perches arent anything, cut them off and weld them back in the correct position.. im not afraid of fab work, just machine work..

I installed a 9 1/4 from a 76 full size stock with 3.21 gears
You will need new driveshaft

Just out of curiosity, what blew on the 8-1/4,
and about how many miles were on it?

New truck Dana's are very different from old muscle car ones they are bigger and heavier without any benefit you'd have to replace the mounts for springs and probably shorten the width on the axle meaning new shafts anyway unless you got lucky and found one not too wide

Roadkill with Tony and Lucky? did a duster with a Ford 8.8 from a explorer. Some with a tow package have posi. Pull a parts around here that would be 150$ plus axle s.
Just another idea.

Appreciate the input everyone, ive still been looking hard to get a 8 3/4 with no success... any idea roughly what it costs to have a driveshaft made up typically??

Appreciate the input everyone, ive still been looking hard to get a 8 3/4 with no success... any idea roughly what it costs to have a driveshaft made up typically??
I have an 8 3/4 from a 72 charger not sure if it fits in a 73?

Yes, but the spring pins and shock plates are different.

Relatively easy to convert to the 72 and earlier style and eliminate the "ISO" mounts.

I have an 8 3/4 from a 72 charger not sure if it fits in a 73?

where abouts are you located? I’d definitely be interested. Any clue on what the gear ratio is? And you wouldn’t happen to have the driveshaft too would you?

just thought id give everyone a quick update. so i was looking everyday on marketplace and craigslist to try and find a 8 3/4 from buffalo all the way to ohio. couldnt find anything for weeks, then randomly.. one day had a spare couple minutes and hopped on market place. Posted 4 minutes ago, c body 8 3/4 15 MINUTES FROM MY HOUSE IN BUFFALO. ran there with cash in hand, picked up the axle housing, 11" brake drums and backing plates, and a complete 741 AND 489 Case both geared to 2:71 for $300!!! Got it back to the shop, whipped out the tape measure and the distance between the perches was 47.3"!!! it was a B body rear end! not a c body. needless to say, just finished sandblasting / painting the housing, getting all new brake hardware and leaf spring bushings, new monroe air shocks, painted mopar blue etc.... now im just waiting on my local Wholesale transmission to finish my 489 case with all new bearings, seals, 3.23 gears and an eaton truetrac. Lucked out on this one boys!!

IMG_3806.jpg

Perches could be the same it's more the drum to drum distance

Auto Transport Service
Back