• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 charger front right leaf spring mount

Charger21

Local time
9:16 AM
Reaction score
I found some cancer on my ride. Any suggestions on how to handle the leaf spring mounting area? I assume the mounting plate needs cut out and a new one welded in and then drill 4 holes for the leaf spring eye mount?

I assume this is something custom and no parts available to use to weld in?

Thanks!

20181123_233003.jpg 20181123_232949.jpg image001.png

Honestly, I've seen worse. I don't believe there are any replacement pieces for that, but you might check with @moparmark on this site too see if he has a patch panel. If it doesn't look to terribly bad up close, you "could" wire brush, weld in a 1/4" steel plate & rustproof what you have? Maybe a frame shop can take a look at it?

Honestly, I've seen worse. I don't believe there are any replacement pieces for that, but you might check with @moparmark on this site too see if he has a patch panel. If it doesn't look to terribly bad up close, you "could" wire brush, weld in a 1/4" steel plate & rustproof what you have? Maybe a frame shop can take a look at it?

Thanks PurpleBeeper!

That looks pretty solid to me, I certainly don't see any structural problems.
Are you just worried about the cosmetic looks?

That looks pretty solid to me, I certainly don't see any structural problems.
Are you just worried about the cosmetic looks?
Look a little closer at the 3rd picture. It "looks" like a crack has developed. How bad the rust is, I can't say.

doesn't look bad to me either , if you can't stab a screwdriver through it , run it. I'm betting the other side looks just like it. if you're that worried , cut you an 1/8 inch plate and weld it in from the backside , drill the holes and go

The mount is part of the framerail. How does the rest of the framerail look?
Inspect it closely & if you only need the front portion where the spring mounts, i will gladly give you mine, as I am replacing the entire rail. I'm currently finishing the roof before I mount the car on a jig, so it will not happen for a few weeks, though. It is priority # 1 before I go any further in the rear.
Just figured I'd give you an option...

Correct. The third picture, which is the side that faces the front of the car is my concern. I will clean it up with a wire brush and do more looking and maybe share some more pictures. I am not very knowledgeable in this area and just don't want to ignore something that could badly damage the car or even worse if it let loose going down the road.

The other side (driver's)looks just fine. The rest of the passenger side frame rail looks good. Just this one spot on the front facing side where the front of the passenger leaf spring mounts to.

Grabbergreendream thanks for the offer. Just let me know when you can and we can work out the details. I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks again all!

No problem, just cover shipping & it's yours. Gona be a few weeks at least...
I crawled under & grabbed a few pics of mine in that area a few minutes ago. The rear part of my frame doesnt exist due to rot under the original vinyl top that let moisture live in the trunk...
1206180021.jpg
1206180022.jpg
1206180022a.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back