• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 charger hood alignment...help..! !

Pat412

Local time
11:43 AM
Reaction score
Ok..so...
I'm starting to put panels back on and work on alignment before I send it to body and paint ..
I'm having an issue with the hood , well several issues ..but the one concerning me at the moment is , when I close the hood the rear of the hood is sticking up over an inch ..
I can push down on it and it's about the right hight for the fender ...

If I adjust the hinge by lifting the hood and rotating the hinge so the rear of the hinge drops and the front comes up ..the hood sits way to low and I'm way out on my factory hood pins ..but the hood sits down all the way every time I close it ..

Now my hinges are in black primer and I can see fresh scratches on the armatures , but no marks on the white epoxy primer everywhere else ..

The driver side seems to be worse , feeling metal to metal when I push down on it ..but then again no markers on the white epoxy primer on inner fender .
1973 charger rallye factory 440 , stock bulge hood
Bad hinges ? Weak springs ?
If so , old stock hinge set ? New aftermarket?

And help or links to more information on the problem , would as always be much appreciated.

It hard to tell without being there, but if you push down hood and it lays right hinges or probably in close adjustment, primer and paint can cause this problem but I don’t like spraying any lube until painted, could contaminate paint, color should match car, if pins are not lined up hopefully they have adjustment, how is the fit at the cow, I always alien that first leaving fenders loose ps some of the easy things turn hard good luck

It hard to tell without being there, but if you push down hood and it lays right hinges or probably in close adjustment, primer and paint can cause this problem but I don’t like spraying any lube until painted, could contaminate paint, color should match car, if pins are not lined up hopefully they have adjustment, how is the fit at the cow, I always alien that first leaving fenders loose ps some of the easy things turn hard good luck
The pins are factory and they are where they are , no moving them ...when I get the gaps right , and the hood lined up with the end of the fenders , the pins are centered, where they should be ..but that's when the rear of the hood will not drop down to where it should be on it's own..

Thank you.

Hmm frustrating, hope hood is not bent, or the hinges original, if so you may have to drop them squar straight down, if so drill out hinge holes very little, but you must make sure that’s what you need to do. It takes very little

Also I have removed springs to make sure I am lined up, springs could be sprung if sand blasted, I quit sand blasting hinges yrs ago

Just for fun back in the 70s you walk into a body shop and they are using 2x4s lol

Ok..so...
I'm starting to put panels back on and work on alignment before I send it to body and paint ..
I'm having an issue with the hood , well several issues ..but the one concerning me at the moment is , when I close the hood the rear of the hood is sticking up over an inch ..
I can push down on it and it's about the right hight for the fender ...

If I adjust the hinge by lifting the hood and rotating the hinge so the rear of the hinge drops and the front comes up ..the hood sits way to low and I'm way out on my factory hood pins ..but the hood sits down all the way every time I close it ..

Now my hinges are in black primer and I can see fresh scratches on the armatures , but no marks on the white epoxy primer everywhere else ..

The driver side seems to be worse , feeling metal to metal when I push down on it ..but then again no markers on the white epoxy primer on inner fender .
1973 charger rallye factory 440 , stock bulge hood
Bad hinges ? Weak springs ?
If so , old stock hinge set ? New aftermarket?

And help or links to more information on the problem , would as always be much appreciated.
———-/
You may already know this but after you adjust hood hinges for height you will need to re-adjust front to back by moving hood forward/backward where the hinges bolt to the hood. Make TINY charges each time. Mark the edge of the hinge against the fender or hood (depending on the move you are making) with masking tape and use as a guide for how far you moved it. Each move should be less than 1/8 of an inch each time. Also, if I remember correctly I think dropping the front of the hinge at the fender, pivoting on the back bolt, actually RAISES the back of the hood.

I had a weak passenger side hinge that would stand the hood up on that side at least 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch. no amount of adjusting would get rid of it. I bought a pair of used hinges and that fixed the problem

Auto Transport Service
Back