• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 charger interchangeable tail lights assembly?

jdc5294

Local time
6:37 AM
Reaction score
Hi there, I have a '73 with the standard tail lights that it came with, I attached a picture of a car with the same lights. If I were to find a tail light assembly from a super bee, r/t, 500, or rallye, such as one being sold here (or perhaps from this site): https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-Dodge-charger-R-T-Rallye-500-tail-lights-assenbley-340-400-440-Hemi/173544261298?hash=item28680b46b2:g:ZcsAAOSwxfdasy5k&vxp=mtr

1) would the dimensions be the same where the housing would fit nicely into the bumper, and
2) would the electrical work be a pretty simple swapping of what was connected to what, or would it be a headache/impossible?

Mine is a daily driver, not a numbers matching show car by any means. Just never been a fan of those rear lights. Hope no one here thinks it's sacrilegious.

Thanks in advance for your time.

4281222041136_hd_1973-dodge-charger-se-brougham-.jpg

Last edited:
They will fit, dimensionally, and the electric should be straight forward (may not be plug and play) but some of the bolt holes do not line up.

I had 72 rallye tail lights and was planning on installing them in a 74 SE.

IIRC I was going to need to drill 2 or 4 holes through the bumper.

My bumper was a 73, and the housings bolt right in. If the electrical plugs have not been screwed with, than the routing, and plug are the same. Plug and play!Nice find on the lenses / housings. Not cheap but nice!

Thank you both, much appreciated. I have no qualms about drilling a couple holes. Contemplating holding out for something not as expensive, honestly that's about 15% of what I paid for the car originally.

Auto Transport Service
Back