• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 charger manual trans swap?

Najib

Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
So i got a 73 charger, kinda had some ideas of Manual trans swapping it, really not fully invested but wanted to see if maybe it was worth it or if anyone has done it. If it performs better on the street I may do it,
What would you need besides a manual trans? And how would you theoretically go about it?

You would need everything that you dont have. The trans is just one part. peddles, shifter, bell housing, clutch, flywheel ,clutch fork and linkage, floor hump and im sure a few other small parts. How it performs is relative, if you like shifting a 4 speed trans its better. if you dont then its not better. You may also need to modify the drive shaft.

I did mine, but I don't think I would do it again.
It was A long time ago, and pre internet parts a info was kinda tough to find.
I also switched from a 318 to a 413, but kept the small block k member, so it's probably not quite right.

My biggest issue is that the trans is really a bear to rnr. I have to rotate it in among other techniques.

Plus I think with the newer technology converters it's easier to make an automatic perform.

While it is work it is far from impossible especially given the after market of today. "back in the day" you had to crawl around junk yards looking for the parts whereas today you can buy almost everything.

If you want a stick, then go for it. Just do a lot of planning first, then acquire all the parts and only then make the swap.

Well from your guys thoughts and experiences and as much as I love 4 speeds I think it’s just too much work, sure the car itself needs a lot of work but it’s just going to burn a bigger hole in my pocket I’d rather not piss around with it

Auto Transport Service
Back