• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Charger Power Steering not returning to center

Bill 340

Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
When i first bought this car it pulled to the right hard while driving. The power steering is easy so it was more of a bother. Then I realized the safety issue if I removed my hands briefly at highway speeds. I bought a rebuilt steering box that solved that problem. But, a new problem occurred because it will not return to center on its own. Still steers very easily. Rag joint was replaced with box. I can feel no binding. Front steering components replaced. Any ideas? Thanks!

Usually the valve will cause a self steer one way or another. If it not a power issue I would lean on the sector adjustment. Mark the adjuster and loosen the jamb nut. Back the adjuster off one turn and tighten the jamb nut. See how it feels after that. It could be a poor rebuild.

Or debris in the valve, they are very sensitive. This is one area you need to be very careful when working on.
The system needs to be flushed before connecting the new box.

Auto Transport Service
Back