• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Charger quarter window felt attachment

Curt Chambers

Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
I have new felts for my quarter window interior panels. The factory ones were held on with heavy duty staples. The replacements don't provide access for the same type of attachment (and even if they did I'm not sure I could duplicate it).

How does everyone attach these? Contact cement?

This is for a '73 Rallye with the roll down quarters.

Thanks

I have new felts for my quarter window interior panels. The factory ones were held on with heavy duty staples. The replacements don't provide access for the same type of attachment (and even if they did I'm not sure I could duplicate it).

How does everyone attach these? Contact cement?

This is for a '73 Rallye with the roll down quarters.

Thanks
Most people use small screws. Use this link and go to post #802, if you read through the entire thread Moparnation did an amazing restoration and he ran into the same problem as you, the link is what he did.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...y-father-my-69-gtx-restoration.127388/page-41
Good luck on your project, let us know how it came out.

I had seen that method when I was searching for this. Seems like it would be difficult to drive in those screws. I can't tell from the picture which way the screws are pointed, but if you're going front to back you'd have to make holes in the felt for access. If going from back to front, I can't imagine how you'd get a screwdriver in there behind it. And you'd have to use a really small screw so that the motion of the window doesn't wear a hole in the felt where it touches the point of the screw.

I did my first one a couple hours ago. What I did was to first peel off the new felt from the backing strip. Mine came off real easy (Top Catwhiskers brand). In fact, it came off so easy I'm wondering if it was intentional. There were no instructions included with the kit. Anyway, with both sides of the the backing strip exposed it's simple to clamp the strip in place, mark the holes where the old staples were, and drill new holes in the backing strip. I used a pick with a 90 degree tip to mark the holes. Then attach the strip with the supplied staples. I don't have the right stapler so I had to bend the ends with pliers. The included staples were just a hair too small for the factory hole spacing but I managed to make them work. Then I used weatherstripping glue to attach the felt back onto the backing strip. It "looks" good. But whether it stands up to the test we'll see.

Good solution, hopefully it'll work out over the long run. I see you live in Arizona, with the heat you guys get it should be a good test to see if the adhesive will hold up to a window sliding against the felts. If you remember, could you come back and update this thread in about a year to let everyone know if this solution worked out? Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks. I'll be using the same method when I do the inner door felts in a couple weeks.

Auto Transport Service
Back