• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73 Charger rallye cluster conversion

dSB3

Local time
6:42 PM
Reaction score
Is it possible to convert a non-rallye cluster to a rallye cluster in a 73 Charger? It looks like it would be a straight swap...anything I'm missing?

It's possible, I haven't seen the hookup to the back of a non-rally cluster as opposed to a rally cluster. If anything would be different, it would be the wiring harness to the gauges and all that.

It is a pretty easy switch. You do need a Rallye Dash wire harness. The standard dash and Rallye dash are completely different for the wiring harness. Other than that, it should swap. If you want to go for the correct look, be sure to get the Rallye dash with the indicator lights next to the headlight and wiper switch. '71-'72 did not have the indicator lights as '73 and '74 did.

its actually quite a chore if you do not have a complete ralley harness for the conversion. i am currently working on this conversion and i have to completely rewire my ralley dash using a 71 and a 73 harness,but i have an amazing guy helping me.. his name is nacho

If you don't mind splicing wires, it's pretty easy.

See the Texas Charger 73 post with a pic I posted showing the backside of a dash with a non rallye harness and a rallye cluster.

If you don't mind splicing wires, it's pretty easy.

See the Texas Charger 73 post with a pic I posted showing the backside of a dash with a non rallye harness and a rallye cluster.
I can't find the pictures for this, can someone help me out?

How you can make the conversion:
-Get the cluster, and separated ( shop replacement )terminals and sockets to become your standard harness into a rallye cluster harness splicing the wiring into your existant one. SOMETIMES clusters can be found with the cluster harness pigtail.

-get the harness to rallye cluster CORRECT FOR THE YEAR! Each year is one year only harness with just 72/73 exception what could get some minor differences easy to save.

Some considerations and advices:
-try to find a cluster with switches and knobs. 71 is one year wiper switch with diff terminals configuration from 72/74. Wiper switches are diff between standard cluster and rallye cluster. Light switch is the same between rallye and standard all 71/74 being the same, BUT KNOBS are diff on both and usually hard to find. Retaining nuts are diff too.

-don't worry about the AC-Heater control switch assembly, is the same for standard and rallye, but these changes between 71/72 and 73/74, althought both physically fits the same on any year of cluster getting wiring differences.

Last edited:
also consider there are 3 diff rallye cluster setups ( aside the diff speedo scale, 150 or 120 ) so choose the one you want.

Basic one, with the two large opening being speedo and oil/gas gauge, smallers are temp and ammeter

Next one with large openings being speedo and clock, smaller openings being dual meters, gas/oil ( one piece for the opening ) and temp and amm ( two units for the opening )

Next one same as above but tach instead clock

Differences.

Basic one gets a diff housing and lenses mask from the other two, which are the same between both just changing the clock for the tach or backwards.

Bezel is the same for all 3 with just the mentioned switch icons used for 74s, but still interchanges the same between all.

So if you are thinking on get a cluster for a tach ( repro available ) don't get the basic one.

Auto Transport Service
Back