• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 charger steering column question

dodge1972

Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
Like to change out my 73 charger steering column with a unit from a 78 dodge magnum (title wheel). Main concern is the steering electrical cables. Do I need to reuse the original cable harnesses.

Thanks for your responses.

As far I can tell, the ign switch configuration changed since 75 or 76, being the ballast bypass coming out from starter relay and not anymore from ign switch. So maybe could need to change the starter relay allong with it, to reroute the ballast bypass from there.

I can't tell if some other change was made.

Plugs and terminal is diff too.

Wait for other opinions thought

..and the rag joint/puck is different.

That's very interesting.

More like pain in the rear axle. The good news is that 74-78 columns can’t be too expensive. You could probably cobble something together if you have enough parts to pull from.

73 is a one year only column.

Yes is a one year column, but as full assembly UP TO THE STEERING BOX ( that means including the coupler to the box ) is interchangeable considering of course as mentioned ( forgot that ) the firewall plate assembly swap, since shaft lenght remains the same.

Yes is a one year column, but as full assembly UP TO THE STEERING BOX ( that means including the coupler to the box ) is interchangeable considering of course as mentioned ( forgot that ) the firewall plate assembly swap, since shaft lenght remains the same.
Thanks for taking the time to respond

Auto Transport Service
Back