• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Rallye Charger - Deck Lid Emblem Placement WHERE???

Grumpy

Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
I'm just completing a full resto on my 73 Rallye Charger and need to know exactly what the placement is of the DODGE and CHARGER emblems on the lip of the deck lid. There are SO many pictures out there one doesn't know if they're correct or not. Some show 1 on the left and 1 on the right, another shows them both together on the right "CHARGER-----DODGE"

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,
Dave

IMG_2071.jpg

Emblems

The emblems go on lower right side of trunk lid. DODGE part #3613272 Charger part# 3680687
Someplace I have the measurements, but not near my garage for a few weeks.
Nice picture you posted.

Okay, thanks. I just bought a dealer brochure on Ebay and hope they show the deck of the 73 Rallye to give me some idea. I know they're not staggered because of the deck lid stripe I just put on from Phoenix. My best guess is that they are side by side, on the right lip of the deck lid, with Charger first, then Dodge on the right end about 2" from the edge of the lip.

BTW, just did the Phoenix Graphix factory stripe kit. It was a pain. Came out okay though.
View attachment 187195

Side by side? That doesn't sound right

I believe the charger is under dodge but staggered to the right more.
Post a photo if you find this within the magazine. <edit>I'll see about chasing something down.73-290.jpg

(found on dc.com)

Last edited:
One thing that drives me nuts is incorrect placement of emblems!!! They are NOT side by side.
The "Dodge" is just below the curve of the tip of the deck lid. The left portion of the "E" is alligned with the very edge of the "C" in "Charger". That picture from the broshure is correct. Here are a couple more and unmolested ones as well.
mopp_090219_04_z%2B1973_dodge_charger_rallye%2B.jpg

mopp_090219_10_z%2B1973_dodge_charger_rallye%2B.jpg

$(KGrHqEOKooFGWwrGOGnBRsB8HL8V!~~60_3.jpg
38216530008_large.jpg

I've put the Rallye strip on the lip. Man, I find it hard to believe that Dodge would have put it directly over the stripe. If it didn't have the stripe on there it would be a no brainer like the photos without a stripe. Just doesn't seem right to go over the stripe does it? There's not enough room to stagger Dodge and Charger otherwise.
1973-charger-tail-lights (1).jpg73-74_Deck_Lid.jpg1973-charger-trunk-nameplate (1).jpg

Yes John, I believe that was from an article in Mopar Muscle.

Grumpy, first, if you look at the pic it is not on properly anyway. Second, if it got a stripe it wouldn't have the stainless edge trim.
And the other 2 without the stripe are just not correct.
However, it is my belief that if you got both the hood an trunk stripe treatment, there were no emblems on the rear. I've never seen a factory one with. I could be wrong, gawd knows, just ask my wife!!!!
But only both hood and deck lid.
But hey, as I always say, it it your car - do what you want to it. It's just my 2 cents!

First off, thanks for everyone's input here. I hate to be so ****, but I am. YES, the car came from the factory with Rallye stripe package on hood, sides and deck lid. I'll keep doing research to find out if deck lid emblems were put on if it had a stripe, that's the question.

If anyone finds anything out sooner than I please post here, I will do the same.

Dave

Yes John, I believe that was from an article in Mopar Muscle.

Grumpy, first, if you look at the pic it is not on properly anyway. Second, if it got a stripe it wouldn't have the stainless edge trim.
And the other 2 without the stripe are just not correct.
However, it is my belief that if you got both the hood an trunk stripe treatment, there were no emblems on the rear. I've never seen a factory one with. I could be wrong, gawd knows, just ask my wife!!!!
But only both hood and deck lid.
But hey, as I always say, it it your car - do what you want to it. It's just my 2 cents!

So the car has the V21 code

Funny, there was a red 440 rallye, with the V21 hood treatment, for sale on here back in January and every angle was posted except the back.

Grumpy, I am the same way. As I said, it bothers me when they are on wrong. Let me say IF there are emblems on the back, what I posted is correct. I am 100% positive of it.

OK, now let's dig into this a bit further. In 1973 the Rallye package A57 included the black side stripes - ONLY. If you wanted red-graduated or white, it was a seperate code. V6R or V6W. The HOOD paint treatment was a seperate code. Available ONLY with the Rallye package but you had to order it to get it. That is V21.
Now to clear up one issue, the trunk stripe was NOT available in 1973. That was a 1974 option only. IF you see one on a 73 it put on after the car was ordered, probably by the dealer. Maybe put on a late 73 leftover to make it look like a 74, who knows. Dealers did things like that - but it would explain why that 73 broshure pic has the hood treatment and no trunk stripe.
In 1974 the codes had several changes.
The Rallye Pkg is still the same and still includes bulge hood, rallye cluster, hood pins, sway bar, raised white letter tires and side stripe in black. If you want the side stripes in white it is now V9 and gold or red-graduated is now V6.
Also new for 74 is deck lid, tape stripe, black (ONLY). Keep in mind all the stripes are tape except the hood because that has to be painted. (Curves and what not). Hood paint treatment is still V21.
It is my opinion that just like the door stripe (that had the Charger logo in it), there were NO emblems on the deck lid IF there were stripes applied.
So, in conclusion if you really want to be correct, deck lid stripes do not belong on a 73. And if you do put them on, leave off the emblems.
As far as codes etc., you can check the dealer data books at Hamtramck site. They are on there.
Hope that wasn't too long winded.
Bob

Grumpy, I am the same way. As I said, it bothers me when they are on wrong. Let me say IF there are emblems on the back, what I posted is correct. I am 100% positive of it.

OK, now let's dig into this a bit further. In 1973 the Rallye package A57 included the black side stripes - ONLY. If you wanted red-graduated or white, it was a seperate code. V6R or V6W. The HOOD paint treatment was a seperate code. Available ONLY with the Rallye package but you had to order it to get it. That is V21.
Now to clear up one issue, the trunk stripe was NOT available in 1973. That was a 1974 option only. IF you see one on a 73 it put on after the car was ordered, probably by the dealer. Maybe put on a late 73 leftover to make it look like a 74, who knows. Dealers did things like that - but it would explain why that 73 broshure pic has the hood treatment and no trunk stripe.
In 1974 the codes had several changes.
The Rallye Pkg is still the same and still includes bulge hood, rallye cluster, hood pins, sway bar, raised white letter tires and side stripe in black. If you want the side stripes in white it is now V9 and gold or red-graduated is now V6.
Also new for 74 is deck lid, tape stripe, black (ONLY). Keep in mind all the stripes are tape except the hood because that has to be painted. (Curves and what not). Hood paint treatment is still V21.
It is my opinion that just like the door stripe (that had the Charger logo in it), there were NO emblems on the deck lid IF there were stripes applied.
So, in conclusion if you really want to be correct, deck lid stripes do not belong on a 73. And if you do put them on, leave off the emblems.
As far as codes etc., you can check the dealer data books at Hamtramck site. They are on there.
Hope that wasn't too long winded.
Bob
Clear up something for me please. What is the code for the deck lid tape ?

144861-1b40a46c806258c380dfc826b0297f06.jpg

As stated this is correct. I wouldn't get to **** over it some guy at the factory put these on half weren't even straight! Get it in the general area and that's as good as factory! I've never seen the Dodge and charger on a deck lid with the stripe ! Just the above picture that's not saying someone didn't add it thinking it was correct! Are we 100% on them being there ?

Look here from hamtramck.
Its show a code for it on. 73 also as an option
Screenshot_20190214-224646_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190214-224034_Chrome.jpg

One thing that drives me nuts is incorrect placement of emblems!!! They are NOT side by side.
The "Dodge" is just below the curve of the tip of the deck lid. The left portion of the "E" is alligned with the very edge of the "C" in "Charger". That picture from the broshure is correct. Here are a couple more and unmolested ones as well.
View attachment 484987
View attachment 484988
View attachment 187203
View attachment 187204

The photo's als prove that the original 14" mag 500 wheels are the best looking wheels for these Chargers. Period.

I've put the Rallye strip on the lip. Man, I find it hard to believe that Dodge would have put it directly over the stripe. If it didn't have the stripe on there it would be a no brainer like the photos without a stripe. Just doesn't seem right to go over the stripe does it? There's not enough room to stagger Dodge and Charger otherwise.
View attachment 187309View attachment 187310View attachment 187311
Well, it should not read 'Charger Dodge'....... :BangHead:

In Venezuela the 72/74 deck lid emblems where placed reversed, emulating the 71 Charger Dodge Division emblem,

1702133022756.jpeg

with the Charger script being above and the Dodge below it. Then I reinstalled mine just like the original Venezuelan location being a Venezuela assembled car at the local Chrysler plant. Also kept the R/T emblems on it like was sold in Venezuela up to 74 like an “R/T”

(will edit the post showing my car deck lid when I find a decent pic of the deck lid of my car)

EDITING… made a screenshot of a Vid I made of my car back in 2012. I think it should have been more “outward” but I wasn’t being too much picky on this. I installed them like it was made in Venezuela.

When I got my Charger was still on factory conditions, rusty and dented, but with everything on its factory locations. Didn’t take care of the EXACT position back in the days thought.

C1853864-7466-49B6-867F-94B04E299CF0.jpeg

Last edited:
In Venezuela the 72/74 deck lid emblems where placed reversed, emulating the 71 Charger Dodge Division emblem,

View attachment 1570771

with the Charger script being above and the Dodge below it. Then I reinstalled mine just like the original Venezuelan location being a Venezuela assembled car at the local Chrysler plant. Also kept the R/T emblems on it like was sold in Venezuela up to 74 like an “R/T”

(will edit the post showing my car deck lid when I find a decent pic of the deck lid of my car)
Dodge 'Division'.... never understood the added value of the addition of 'Division'. What does it actually mean?

Auto Transport Service
Back