• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Roadrunner 340 Air Cleaner Paint code, anyone know it?

idrivemopar

Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
I have seen some threads about regarding correct Orange paint codes for air cleaners, but cannot seem to locate them. So, does anyone know the correct orange paing code for a 340 Air cleaner off a 73 Roadrunner?

I just ordered some powder for powder coating my 73 Roadrunners air cleaner, my son has started powder coating on the side for about 6 mos now, if you want when it's finished I can send pics when its done. The powder paint is called hemi orange, we will try it on scrap metal first, to make sure its correct. Dennis

Thats what i was trying fo find out if it really is Hemi Orange or something else, Totally Auto says its called Air Cleaner Orange and is different color than the Hemi Orange used on the engine. Anyways Totally auto was out of stock for the paint, hopefully my painter can match it.

thanks for the details.

Air cleaner orange is not the same as any of the Hemi oranges. Closer to the brighter Chevy orange. I just had some made up at the paint store. Had an original orange lid. Started with Chevy Hugger Orange then added some yellow to get it right.

This is my powder supplier's Hemi Orange ... smooth, glossy and a VERY nice match to the factory paint.

097 - Copy.jpg

It's one of my most popular colors around here. :D

3 color Cal Customs.jpg

002.jpg

039 - Copy.jpg

037 - Copy.jpg

042 - Copy.jpg

Beautiful looking parts and love the added lace type drop cloth they sit on, Nice touch of classy looks! :)

Thank you Ron! (Truth be told, that's an old curtain LOL!!!) I have a few "backers" I use for my formal website photo spreads depending on what color the parts are that I'm showing off. Now that you pointed it out, it's funny that my dark blue and burgundy cloths get summarily rejected for Hemi Orange since they clash too much. :D

I went through the same research a few weeks back - Totally Auto would be the source but I'm on a tight budget. Found a recommendation on one site for Rustoleum Safety Orange , couldn't find it anywhere except on line - but did find this orange at Homey Depot which really looked close

P1100173 (Small).JPGP1100174 (Small).JPGP1100175 (Small).JPG.

This is without flash outdoors , with flash outdoors , and with flash indoors so take it for what it's worth. If I determine it's off too far from original (like I give a flip what anyone says) I'll repaint at a later date , looks pretty darn close to me !

Will scuff, clear coat and decal later this week.

- - - Updated - - -

Also found this on a site if you wanted to get serious :

"Nostalgia Lane shared this with me: PPG DCC 60626

But the local distributor couldn't mix it up so I bought it from them and the kicker here is that they went out of their way to also provide me with the formula for a full quart:

DMC 920 223.4
DMC 906 376.7
DMC 902 387.3
DMC 909 733.3
DMC 907 1368.9

This is a single stage paint and it's nice and thick enough that you can easily do touch ups with a brush out of the can."

This was from cuda-challenger.com

Buy a can of that Rustoleum orange at Home Depot and see what you think - I don't have anything to compare it to but a few chips of old paint and it's really close .... you could always take it back. Totally Auto's is 25 bucks (!) a can plus shipping and one can may or may not be enough (?) If you need it 100% dead nuts match (if there's an original within 25 feet to compare it to !), then you may want to go that route ....... your call

Auto Transport Service
Back