• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 RR fuel sending unit, who sells the correct one?

idrivemopar

Local time
2:38 AM
Reaction score
Ok, so year one strikes again, their fuel sending unit listed as correct for the 71-74 satellite/ roadrunner is not correct. Float and internals are correct, but the neck coming out is straight, and it should be curved at 45 degrees and about an inch longer so the ground strap will reach. Anyway, made them send a call tag for that screw up. The big box auto parts stores carry one from spectra premium that looks correct, but it has a plastic float, not a brass one, would like a brass float.

I have checked classic, jegs, summit, mega parts, etc, with no luck.

So, does anyone know where I can get a correct one with brass float and proper angle and length on the neck?

A correct one or one that actually works?
Spectra makes one the actually works from what I hear tell. All the others that I've used did not work worth a crap.

Hahahahah, thanks Mark, I guess I will order the spectra one that the big box parts stores carry.

when I bought nobody was selling the angled one... everybody offered the straight one.

I got long time ago from VANSAUTOSALVAGE 3/8" piece with return line to my 74 ( although my car originally was 5/16" ) thinking on a future upgrade... both were straight anyway

- - - Updated - - -

if you want the spectra unit, float can be replaced though ( brass floats are available around ), BUT I think still the plastic float units are incorrect with a wire between rheostat and terminal, instead the metal strip like originally is.

- - - Updated - - -

even some NOS ( I guess later manufacturing ) where plastic and wired instead stripe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-1...ies&hash=item4ab6c9e575&vxp=mtr#ht_275wt_1051

- - - Updated - - -

However just found these:

( 5/16" )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-74-Ch...ries&hash=item5d29920ec7&vxp=mtr#ht_91wt_1051

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-74-75...es&hash=item588853dcdd&vxp=mtr#ht_1151wt_1051

Thanks for the information, I do have a spectra premium FG93B one on the way, and will most likely use my old brass float on the new one as it is still in good condition and no leaks. Problem with the straight neck units, is there is no way to connect the ground strap from the fuel line to the neck on the pickup. You are right, they use a wire instead of a strap, but as moparmark said, it seems to be the one that works properly.

I got mine from TAMRAZ parts.
I also did 3/8 for future upgrade in my 74.

It was also straight and not curved.
I did not see the curved ones anywhere at the time.

Interesting note while we're on this subject.

I had been filling the tank every time in my 73 Satellite, in order to figure MPG.

The past few times, I've just been putting in whatever I could spare.

I've noticed that from dead "E"- $20 gives me 1/2 a tank (per the gage), but it takes almost $60 to fill it!

I had previously noticed that it does seem to run quite a while from "F" to 1/2, and then drops off pretty fast.

That is right, I actually measured this between new and original, found that on full, the resistance is about the same, 19ohms, but on empty, new is 10ohms higher then then original, so you may end up close to empty, but actually have more gas in the tank then what it shows. At least its not the other way around!

Fairly certain I removed and re-used the original sender when I replaced the original tank.

Not a lot of parts have been replaced on this car, and I've done most of them!

Auto Transport Service
Back