• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Satellite wagon update.

BattleWagon

Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a "drivers with mild upgrades" forum, soooo, I'll post here, among the threads filled with amazing rides. Ha ha! Anyways, I spotted this car at Pick-N-Pull some years ago. I instantly fell in love and was pretty sad I wound up there. Soooooo many darned good parts on it.

01-pnp.jpg

A couple years later I found one sitting behind a shed on my buddies farm, sunk in the mud. He kept it around as a parts car for his daughters 73 RR. Only wanted the engine, trans, and rear axle. After bugging him about the car for about a year he finally sold it to me for $400. I gave him back the 318 and 8.25 rear axle later on. Fuel pump, water pump, and the wheels with tires, cool and and gas, and I drove it home 50 miles with no problem.
02-at-bills.jpg

03-at-bills.jpeg

Exterior wise I haven't really done anything, other than a bath and a set of wheels. Plan is daily driver, and pull a enclosed trailer with a couple dirt bikes with my daughter and I.

04-driver.jpg

05-passenger.jpg

06-drivers.jpg

07-with-240.jpg
2016-04-03-2.jpg 2016-04-04.jpg

Last edited:
First up was a much needed power upgrade. I picked up a low mileage 03 5.9. That morphed into a whole other build when I stumbled across a Craigslist ad reading "Plymouth 340 $700". Called the guy, no anwser. A few days later he calls me back, and still has motor. Said it was complete and he was told it ran. It was in a 70 Cuda he bought from the East coast on eBay to make a resto-mod, and was his first Mopar. I picked it up for $600.

01.jpg

02.jpg

A quick inspection showed a low mileage motor and a set of .030" overbore slugs. Its also a 72, but early production steel crank motor.

03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg

I kept getting a little over .500" lift at the valves so I was thinking its way overcammed for a small valve stocker. Popped the heads off and the gaskets were .05sumthin" compressed. Ugh!Bores looked good though.

09.jpg

I ordered a set of .030" compressed MLS Cometic headgaskets with .4.08" bores (or so I thought). Apparently I only had 1 made. So I got a set of Mr. G's at .027" to hold me over.

10.jpg

21.jpg

and in goes the 340.

22.jpg

23.jpg

3" Hooker Aerochambers

24.jpg

Nobody but nobody makes a exhaust for this car, so I modified a 3" kit from Summit for a 71-72 B body 2 door.

25.jpg

Tired, tired alternator, could not keep up with the Hella BiFocus Lows with 55w H1, and Cebie highs with 100w H1's.

26.jpg

$25 120A alternator from a newer caravan

27.jpg
28.jpg

Grabbed a mini starter from a 90's Dodge van too

29.jpg

About how she sits now. Still need a radiator, but I don't have any cooling issues yet.

30.jpg

The 5.9 getting ready to get poked and stroked to 406cu sometime in the next 2 weeks, MP cast 4" stroke crank, Eagle I beam rods, and KB hyper pistons will fill the short block. Still deciding on heads. flipping a coin between Alu Edel or Iron Ram.

31.jpg

The original 904 actually has a factory high stall. Will be swapping to a OD A833 soon, and when Jamie catchs up, swap that for his A855

32.jpg

I put a 9.25 Imperial diff in. Didn't like it.

33.jpeg

Swapped for a C-body 8 3/4, and ditched the iso mount stuff. Still deciding on rear leafs.

35.jpg

34.jpg

Went through the front end, full rebuild
1.jpg

Subframe bushing too!
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

New adjusters to work with the Firm Feel 1.06 dia torsion bars
5.jpg

I broke one of the shackles. Tip, C body rear shackles work with these later wagons. got a pair of NOS on fleabay for $15ea

6.jpg

Front sway bar was dangling in the wind!

7.jpg

Put Bilsteins on all 4 corners. Worthy!

8.jpg

Another amazing upgrade, Firm Feel StageII chuck!
9.jpg

10.jpg

This really helped with reducing sea-sickness going down the road, Firm Feel 7/8" rear sway bar.

unnamed (2).jpg

Interior was pretty gnarly

01.jpg

Being able to open the windows helped, but basically turned the inside into a dirt devil twister.
02.jpg

Bought 3 sets of gauges and 2 harnesses to make this:

08.jpg

Dahs mat made it a little less gross to look at

09.jpg

Ahhhhh, fresh carpet!

10.jpg
12.jpg

Found the cap thingy for the ignition light under the old rubber floor mat. Not sure how it got there.

107.jpg
110.jpg
111.jpg

Lame install, but the wideband has been hadny while tuning the 750cfm Street Demon I put on. :)

112.jpg

So that is where I'm at. Left to do:

Manual trans conversion
Radiator
Rear leaf springs
Install class III receiver
Put 406 stroker in last

At least now its entertaining to drive!

Wow, that's going to be a sweet sleeper wagon. Nice work.

Is this the one you bought from bill and has been off and on Craigslist?

If so glad you are keeping her.
I bought a few cars and parts off bill.

He once owned 17 winged cars

Great progress so far! Liked the "dirt devil twister" comment because I know exactly what you are talking about.

Long roofs are slick. I would like to get one for the Mrs. to park next to my 65 Coronet.

Is this the one you bought from bill and has been off and on Craigslist?

If so glad you are keeping her.
I bought a few cars and parts off bill.

He once owned 17 winged cars

Same one, same guy! Yeah, I had it up once with a few other cars. Fortunately I was able to off something else first. :)

Coming along nicely too, :thumbsup:
looks like a great project...

I have a soft spot for ol' Family Trucksters/Wagons too
maybe one of my next builds, who knows,
if I run across something I gotta' have, you know how that goes :BangHead:

Auto Transport Service
Back