• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Charger Power Bulge Hood Blackout

terrywalker

Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
I've been wet sanding my 74 Charger to get it ready for paint. The power bulge hood had the center blackout painted on. Sanding down shows the B5 blue under the black, black (or dark gray) primer, then light gray primer. Did the 74 Chargers come with the hood blackout painted on or was it a decal. See photos. Ignore the red primer as it is some I put on to protect bare steel. Thanks.
Terry

Hood Blackout 1 (Large).jpg Hood Blackout 2 (Large).jpg

Yes, Painted. I bought a Phoenix Graphics "callout"template after I had the car painted. A graphics company reverse engineered it and installed a 3 m vinyl wrap one for the hoods of both 73 Rallye cars I had. (sold one car)

also painted on 72s which BTW is the black out job your hood got... 73/74 is like this:

MS375.jpg

They are painted because a decal could not hold the curved shape correctly or without wrinckles, not at least the vinyls available back in the day. 71s are decals because just sits on top of bulge, no curvatures there

also painted on 72s which BTW is the black out job your hood got... 73/74 is like this:

View attachment 917619

They are painted because a decal could not hold the curved shape correctly or without wrinckles, not at least the vinyls available back in the day. 71s are decals because just sits on top of bulge, no curvatures there

Interesting. I wonder why/how my hood is painted like it is. Nacho, the photo you show has the hood vents in back and my 74 does not. The hood does not indicate a repaint when sanding it. I'll look into it further.
Terry

I knew you were to say something about the vents LOL.... doesn't matter, 73/74 got the same blackout. On pic is shown 73, but 74 is exactly the same

The picture of the yellow hood is from my car restored around 1990. It was a 74, but it came with a 73 hood from the factory. Who knows why..... it was definitely the original hood with original paint when I got the car, complete with 74 440 emissions decal. I guess it might have been a left over hood from 1973. I think I took and posted that photo on line at least 20 years ago. The photo has made the rounds.... I notice that several companies use it to sell paint templates for 73/74 hoods.

Note... The color show-throughs as originally painted on my car were uneven. One was 1-inch farther forward than the other. Hooray for Dodge workmanship in 1974! I took the liberty of splitting the difference and setting them equal when I repainted the hood.

Auto Transport Service
Back