• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Charger Trunk Divider

terrywalker

Local time
1:53 AM
Reaction score
I pulled the trunk divider board out of storage to compare my original to the reproduction board I have. It was not close. Note in the photos the original has "wings" to insulate the wheel housing and it fits great around the center floor hump. I pulled the one out of my other 74 Charger and it matches the reproduction board exactly. The reproduction divider does not match around the wheel housings very well, the same as the one out of my other 74 Charger. So, has anyone else run into this? Any reproduction dividers like my insulated original? See photos. In one photo, I also show an original black piece of insulation attached to wheel housing which seals between the inside rear plastic panel and the wheel well. I replaced it with jute insulation. The original divider wings cover over to the inside rear plastic panel.
Terry

Trunk Divider 8 (Medium).jpg Trunk Divider 10 (Medium).jpg Trunk Divider 12 (Medium).jpg Trunk Divider 15 (Medium).jpg Trunk Divider 16 Std. (Medium).jpg Pillar Tar Cardboard panel board (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
I have one out of a 73 that looks like the DMT board. The only thing I have seen that looks like the more elaborate one was in my 78 Monaco.

I have debated in the past insulator goes on inside face of the divider while some other ppl claims ( and shows pics ) of the insulator on trunk side. Which is true?

your insulator looks to be on cab side!

The way I show the original in the photo is the way the "wings" fold out to cover the wheel well and is the way I originally removed it with the jute insulation side facing the trunk. I'll have to see if the "wings" fold the other way. Note there's a pre-formed crease in the board for the "wings" to fold towards the front of car.

Trunk Divider 2 (Medium).jpg Trunk Divider 15 (Medium).jpg

Your car must have the sound insulation package.
I've had a bunch of original divider and all were like the DMT repros.

We made a cardboard template from the original and with a few small adjustments, will work. The creases in the cardboard box we used to make the template caused a few problems. See phto 1. Photo 2 shows the comparison between the template and the divider reproduced now.
Terry

Trunk Divider Template 2 (Medium).jpg Trunk Divider Comparison (Medium).jpg

so, are we talking about 3 layers on the divider stuff on this car?

-cotton jute ( the grayish stuff ) on trunk side
-cardboard/masonite panel ( divider itself )
-cardboard with the wheel wells wings and mostly sure some petroleoum layer like the insulation used on C pillars

Am I correct?

if so... the divider panel goes where?

( my car just got as far I recall the divider panel with no insulation anywhere )

N97 Noise Reduction Package.
Also included in the A76 Brougham Package for the Charger SE.
I had a 73 SE with it. Had a thick tarpaper like insulation under the carpet and jute. My car was partially taken apart before I got it and was missing the divider so it was nice to see this thread.
If you Charger SE has Brougham emblems on the door panels then it should have the noise package.

Last edited:
N97 Noise Reduction Package.
Also included in the A76 Brougham Package for the Charger SE.
I had a 73 SE with it. Had a thick tarpaper like insulation under the carpet and jute. My car was partially taken apart before I got it and was missing the divider so it was nice to see this thread.
If you Charger SE has Brougham emblems on the door panels then it should have the noise package.

It's has the Rallye package. 360HP with auto trans.

74 Fender Tag.jpg

Nacho, the divider board with wheel housing wings is the thick tarpaper type board with jute insulation glued on the back and was installed on the hooks where the black standard divider board is hung. The sail panels also had the thick tarpaper board as shown in my last photo of my first post of this topic. Also note in that photo the black tar paper attached on the wheel housing ( attached with the same white seal rope used to attach the plastic sheet inside panels) . The carpet had a thicker than usual backing. The wheel housings piece of thick tarpaper attached to them, I replaced with the jute insulation as shown in photos and this seals the rear plastic interior panel so no noise comes in from wheelhouse. See photo of jute insulation on back of original divider. The black divider I have hanging in front of my cardboard template in previous photo is just for comparison and came out of my other 74 Charger.
Terry

Trunk Divider Jute Back (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back