• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 dual badge

snakeyes

Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
ok who is up on 74 dual badge rr gtx RM21U4G it is missing fender at this point,needs alot of replacement parts whats avialble and who is the suppliers ,was told it is 1of 79 ? youngest son is looking at this one:eusa_think:

I had a dual-badge 73 Roadrunner/GTX and the only difference I can remember was it had a GTX decal on the hood bulge instead of 440.

All 72,73,and 74 roadrunners that were ordered with a 440 got roadrunner and gtx badges.

Larry

Looking for parts vendors if there is any

All 72,73,and 74 roadrunners that were ordered with a 440 got roadrunner and gtx badges.

Larry

No they didn't. I had a 72 and a 73 that were ordered with the 440 and neither had GTX badging.

Also, my 73 RR/GTX came with hood pins from the factory and my 72 and 73 440 RR didn't, so I'm wondering if hood pins were part of the GTX package also.

Looking for parts vendors if there is any

What parts are you looking for? The part that I know of that's unique to a 73 RR/GTX is the GTX decal for the hood, and most repro dealers sell these.

was looking at one down in your area ,have seen it for sale by two owners , its not that rare of a bird to redo for my youngest son ,was just checking for what sheetmetal is being repoed ,thanks. told him to keep looking

Yeah, I've been looking at that one too. :) Here's the problem. There isn't much body metal being made for 73/74 Roadrunners. You can get floors, but that's about it. If you need fenders, doors, or quarters, you need to find parts that were taken off another car. That car down here has bad quarters, which can be bad news.

The nice thing is 73/74 cars aren't really big in the collector market yet, so there are a lot out there that can be had for a decent price. My rule of thumb is the quarters have to be rust free. I can find replacement fenders and doors, but the quarters have to be good.

did you see all the way around the rear window, the hood has rust you no you`ll need outer wheel ,plus alot of other sheetmetal, he would`nt send photos of the underneath car and no fender tag:eusa_think:

Agree on quarters. Will add cowl/vent stack.

Also think the 73/74 RR hood is the best looking all time non-functional scoop.

It screams "don't F with me"!

It can be made at least somewhat functional and is IMO second only to the 69 Dodge RamCharger for nasty looks.

No they didn't. I had a 72 and a 73 that were ordered with the 440 and neither had GTX badging.

Also, my 73 RR/GTX came with hood pins from the factory and my 72 and 73 440 RR didn't, so I'm wondering if hood pins were part of the GTX package also.

Did you buy both cars brand new?

Larry

All 72-74’ 440 “U” coded Road Runner GTX’s (including Larry’s 72’“V” code car) were dual named and dual badged originally. Most of the “GTX” badges were stick-on and are easily removed for whatever reason. Exception to this would be the 73-74’ hood location where they used a pinned version requiring two small holes above the 440 hood call-out, each side. The presence of these holes is a good telltale sign that a hood was on a “U” coded car originally.

No such thing as a “GTX Package” or option for the 72-74’ model years, simply if you ordered a Road Runner with the optional 440 engine the car was called a Road Runner GTX and you got the additional badging automatically. Hood pins (J45) was a stand-alone option for the Road Runner and SSP and not part of any décor package. Also available as a dealer installed accessory, I have installed many sets, both pre and post delivery, myself back in the day on just about everything.

Same document Larry linked above with a little more emphasis;
1972_Plymouth_5r-2.jpg

I was the second owner of the 73 GTX I had, and the original GTX logo on the hood was vinyl.

I was the second owner of the 73 GTX I had, and the original GTX logo on the hood was vinyl.

I wonder if it was the tape from the GTX emblem because Chrysler never used a small GTX emblem that I know of.

Larry

And the 72 440 I had had the 440 decals in the hood inserts and the original paint, but I don't remember any GTX badging or ghosting anywhere on it.

I wonder if it was the tape from the GTX emblem because Chrysler never used a small GTX emblem that I know of.

Larry

Man, I wish I still had pictures of that car. :) The GTX decal was about the same size as the number call outs are. Plus the letters were fat and not thin like on the metal badges. I only remember them so well because I really hated them at the time and wanted to replace them with 440 decals but this was 1980 and those were hard to find.

And the 72 440 I had had the 440 decals in the hood inserts and the original paint, but I don't remember any GTX badging or ghosting anywhere on it.

On a 72 there was a GTX badge on each front fender behind the front tire and 1 on the decklid. 73-74 there was a GTX badge above the 440 on the hood
You should go to roadrunnernest.com this has been discussed there with pics of emblems on cars..

Larry

Like I said... mine had just a GTX decal on the sides of the buldge on the 73, and I never saw any GTX badges on the 72, although I was about the 3rd or 4th owner of the 72 so they could have been removed, but I think I would have seen some ghosting since it was the original paint.

Auto Transport Service
Back