• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75-79 dodge/chrysler/plymouth history

WP29440SE

Local time
2:14 PM
Reaction score
i had previously started some of this in the wrong section of this forum so i am starting over again here. what i am wanting see is any and all pics you guys may have ,or can find , of any Promos, Adds and media releases, car testing or production photos of the 75-79 chrysler B body platform, to include nascar or drag racing,any information or stories. information on these cars is virtually non-existant as the racing of these cars was quickly coming to an end and it seems that King Richard Petty was the only one still running this platform anywhere in the country. my knowledge of these cars is very limited and i want to see more pics. i have a few and as previously stated, most of you have probably already seen these, but i will post them again here and try to consolidate any information we can gather. thanks in advance for your contribution....

production photos, allpar.com

Attachments

• m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,023
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 740
  • m6.jpg
    m6.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 763
a few more...

Attachments

• REW.jpg
    REW.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 701
  • m7.jpg
    m7.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 695
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 709
a few more

Attachments

• m13.gif
    m13.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 701
  • m12.jpg
    m12.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 726
  • m11.jpg
    m11.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 696
  • m10.jpg
    m10.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 689
more

Attachments

• m13.jpg
    m13.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 845
  • m14.jpg
    m14.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 680
  • m15.jpg
    m15.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 696

Attachments

• m22.jpg
    m22.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 868
  • m21.jpg
    m21.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 675
  • m20.jpg
    m20.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 662

Attachments

• m25.jpg
    m25.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 657
  • m26.jpg
    m26.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 628
Man, good stuff. Some of it I've seen around but some of those ads/pics I've NEVER seen before....it's kinda like taking a Cordoba/Charger/Magnum/Fury/Road Runner et al to a show...people WILL stop and look. Why? Because as cool as they are, everybody's SEEN about all the A, B, and E bodies they need to. At shows, in magazines, calanders, coffee table books, whatever. Everyone knows what they're gonna see when they look inside a 'Cuda. What does the inside of a '78 Magnum look like? Well, bunkie, take a look.
The ads of the 60s and early 70s (ESPECIALLY Mopar's) have been played and replayed and shown in magazines and whatnot dozens of times. EVERYONE is familiar with the ScatPack and Rapid Transit System ad campaigns...they're legendary and been done to, if not death, at least til they need life support. The mide to late 70s ads don't get nearly that kind of play and as such are WAY more interesting. Even if the cars themselves (to some) are not.
Thanks for the soft, Corinthian leather wrapped road trip down memory lane.

times 2 for sure, i will keep digging ,there is more,just gotta find em'. and for the record , i have never known of ANY cordoba ragtops to have been built. that pic was protected but ,well, you know. any ways i think that one was custom built. and a while back i ran across a SUPPOSED 1 of 1 77 cordoba ragtop on craigslist. i dont have any pics, but it was not the one i posted. im pretty confident there were not any built from the factory or any kind of dealer option, or special order unless it was for someone famous, but even then it would have been sent out to be converted.

No factory convertibles, they were all done as conversions much the same way as the later J body Cordoba and Mirada drop tops. Personally, I think the J bodies make a better-looking convertible. They're boxy, but better proportioned, at least to me. Here's a few and some information... http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/classicmopar/showthread.php?t=328
I'll leave any comments about the proportions of the decidedly UN-boxy lady standing proudly next to her 1st gen 'Doba ragtop to someone else. Chickenshit, yes...but you never know who might read this.
BTW, its hard to tell from the picture cuz the nose and tail are cut off, but the Marty Robbins stocker is a Magnum. Theres a story and a video of it here... http://www.mopardealer.com/

No factory convertibles, they were all done as conversions much the same way as the later J body Cordoba and Mirada drop tops. Personally, I think the J bodies make a better-looking convertible. They're boxy, but better proportioned, at least to me. Here's a few and some information... http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/classicmopar/showthread.php?t=328
I'll leave any comments about the proportions of the decidedly UN-boxy lady standing proudly next to her 1st gen 'Doba ragtop to someone else. Chickenshit, yes...but you never know who might read this.
BTW, its hard to tell from the picture cuz the nose and tail are cut off, but the Marty Robbins stocker is a Magnum. Theres a story and a video of it here... http://www.mopardealer.com/
yes, i was going to edit my post saying it was a charger. i saw some pics earlier of the 42 magnum. from the side it looked like a 77 SE with the opera windom trim, like you said ,about the un boxy chick LMAO,that was a good one,and i too,will leave it alone. thanks again for the links,great stuff.

I'd love like hell to get ahold of some of that Charger opera-light trim and some tail-lights and fender extensions. I don't wanna build a Charger clone (all my emblems are already off), I just like how they look. Magnum tail lights are very similar if not identical. I have already filled my opera window trim to make it smooth and it was labor-intensive enough that I dont want to repeat the process with the back window trim. I had designs on the trim from a junkyard 79 (smooth stainless. Or aluminium, whatever) but when I went to get it the junkman had already crushed it. What a dick. He was bound to make more money from me taking parts off it than he got for scrap and he knew it. He wouldnt sell it to me outright, then just crushed it. The guy hates cars and crushes EVERYTHING. I won't even go to his yard anymore, it gets me riled up and I really have no business telling him what to do with his junk, so I just stay away. Much better for both of us.

we have a yard out here that has been out here forever. the guy has a buttload of cars. 70 300 hurst, 68-70 charger R/Ts , magnums,chargers,dobas, RRs, a little of everything. this guy is such a dick. if you ever watch dog the bounty hunter, there was an episode where they went to a yard looking for a fugitive and beth got in huge yelling match with the yard owner and the sheriff came out and it was chaos. the yard owner is webb. this is the same guy im referring to. this guy has you wait outside the gate, while he sends his kid out and pulls the specific part for you ,sight unseen, and in whatever condition, and if you dont buy the part for his ridiculas price no matter the condition, he tells you not to bother coming back. it is completely out of hand and i will never go out there unless it is to torch the place.on another note, i found some pics , but no information ,on some 4th generation funny cars.as far as the tail lights go, as you know the front and rear end treatments changed from 77 to 78. the magnum got its own treatment as well. 75-77 chargers rear end was different than the cordoba. with the magnum taking over the charger badging in 78, the same rule applied to the rear end treat with the doba/magnum, each having there own.you can use the magnum taillights on a 75-77, but you would have to have ,the deck lid,the bumpers,extensions,fillers and taillights.the charger stuff is all different from 77 to the magnum, but the opera window trim carried onto the 78 magnum. i included some pics for you to see the difference.it appears that the 78 doba and magnum shared the same rear bumpers.the first pic is the 78,the second is 77

Attachments

• po3.jpg
    po3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 585
  • po4.jpg
    po4.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 580

Attachments

• az72.jpg
    az72.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 611
  • az70.jpg
    az70.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 554
  • az69.jpg
    az69.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 569
  • az52.jpg
    az52.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 618
emmits coachworks did the conversions for the convertable cordobas.

Attachments

• po5.jpg
    po5.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 609
  • po2.jpg
    po2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 590
  • po1.jpg
    po1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,093
hey jonnyuma, ever since i started that pics and posts added 77 charger se thread, our cars show up in google images if you google 77 charger se. pretty cool i thought.

Auto Transport Service
Back