• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'77, 400, HP exhaust manifolds install

casey henson

Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
I know it has been awhile but I am finally making a move on this. I have decided to go with manifolds instead of headers. I am not going for big horse power numbers. If I was it would be headers. I have a set of reproduction manifolds on order that should be here this week. Until then I have removed the old manifolds and am getting ready for the swap. I was really surprised how easy it was to remove the originals. The drivers side was a cake walk. The pass side was a little tougher but still not bad. Three of the studs pulled on the pass side. All of them stayed in on the drivers side for some reason.

drivers side.jpg

man,both.jpg

pass man.jpg

Keeping in mind that all the studs could be "wet", meaning the heads could all be tapped into the coolant passages, I would suggest a little Permatex on the threads when you put them back together..... actually if it were mine, I'd worry that the remaining studs may have moved, cracked loose and may now seep as well.

Keeping in mind that all the studs could be "wet", meaning the heads could all be tapped into the coolant passages, I would suggest a little Permatex on the threads when you put them back together..... actually if it were mine, I'd worry that the remaining studs may have moved, cracked loose and may now seep as well.
10-4 I will check them all. I normally use #2 permatex. Thank you sir

The studs didn’t move the nuts did. I wouldn’t worry about that. Now blow compressed air in the open stud holes and see if it’s closed or open to the coolant passages.

Auto Transport Service
Back