• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

77 Cordoba Fuse Panel Location

ArtH

Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
Where is it? How do I access it? I'm used to seeing them on the floor boards by the driver's left foot area or on some cars under the hood. The book says it's on the left side of the steering column but I can't see it.

My directionals, hazard flashers and A/C compressor lock up don't work. The book indicates fuse no 5 & 6 (both 20 Amps) protect these and other items. I'd like to check the fuses. Thanks.

If it's the same location as my 78 it should be under the dash near the center just to the top right of the gas pedal

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

they're the glass tube style fuses

That helps a lot, thanks. Are the two aluminum items for the flashers/directionals?

Not sure what those are.

I assume the flashers/directionals would be a normal fuse (located just above those aluminum pieces) but could be wrong. I just had to replace a 20amp fuse for my brake lights and it was pretty annoying getting it out of there, kind of a tight squeeze and gotta be careful not to break the glass when pulling it out/putting it in.

It helps if you disconnect the battery ground and use a small tool to GENTLY pry the fuses out. A key always works for me, and to be honest, I don't always disco the battery.
Should. ....but don't.

Okay, I found it. There was an A/C vent blocking my view but it comes out real easy. I noticed there was no aluminum "top hat" in the lower right corner like the ones in the picture above. I'm pretty certain those are the flasher devices for directionals and hazard lights. I really couldn't see the fuses the way that think is mounted due to the poor lighting conditions. I'll try with a flash light tomorrow. I'm pretty certain there's a small cheap tool for grabbing the glass fuses and removing them, Advance Auto et al carry them. Thanks for the help.

The big one is the turn signal flasher and the smaller if for the hazard light flasher. They are the devices that make the lights blink and also put out the clicking noise to remind you they are one. There is also a fuse that protects the circuit that is separate. Neither my directionals or harzards work. I haven't checked the fuses yet, but I know those two items (about $6 - $7 at any parts store) are missing. I will replace them first and see if it fixes the problem.

I was gonna mention that the 4-ways (hazard lights) and turn signals use separate flasher units. Some vehicles use an "omni-flasher", a single unit for both. Ours don't.

Thanks for the help.

I received the ignition conversion kit today and I'll get around to it eventually. I have a question regarding the ballast resistor. The kit comes with one and I understand it's necessity, however there is one in place on the car - 1977 with 400 LB engine. Can I use it instead of using the one with the kit?

The kit comes from a company called Proform. Has anyone else used their equipment? I thought I was buying OEM due to the module being orange but now I see it isn't.

I was just reading about a conversion from lean burn or points to using the module from a GM HEI system. It eliminates the use of a ballast resistor due to it being able to accept 12 volts continually while running. It's a pretty simply wiring job. Has anyone tried this?

I went through the glove box and found the original window sticker from the dealership where it was purchased and it appears this was a one owner car. I bought from a museum located in PA via Ebay. The original owner still lives at the same address as the warranty papers indicate when he and his wife bought the car on 09/09/1977. I found a number of bills and other items including the owner's manual which indicates "the Cordoba fuse box is
mounted on a bracket attached the A/C or heater housing near the center of the car. To remove the block, slide up and off the bracket." That would appear to make changing fuses a whole lot easier.

In addition to the owner's manual, I found a pocket note book with every maintenance item the owner performed or had done while he owned the car. Including dates and mileage with a brief description. His last entry was August 17, 2005 "oil, grease, filter repair rear sway bar." He shows the mileage at 37,343 which is actually 137,343. The car has 138K on it now. The museum did title the car so technically, I'm the third owner.

Nice info to have.

Sorry if I'm beating this one to death, but I finally found and resolved the hazard flashers and directional problem. For my 1977 Cordoba, neither flasher module is located on the fuse panel. The fuse panel is located as shown in the earlier picture however there is no provision for the modules as shown in the picture, just fuses. The modules are found it two places under the dash. One (the hazards) is by the steering column the other is above the parking brake. Both have female connectors and basically just hang there. They use the same type module but you do need two of them. I found the hazards while looking around under the dash and put in a new module and they work fine. The directionals were a bit harder. There is an add on speaker blocking view but one of the guys in our parts department found it. All work as they should.

The fuse panel will slide up and off it's mounting on the heater/ A-C box. You can then hold it in one hand and replace a blown fuse - if you have to - with the other. Very easy and actually an improvement over the other types I have worked with i.e. mounted on the floor/firewall by your left foot. In fact, there is a connector on the top of the fuse panel that would allow you to remove it from the car should you need to. It's really a very easy set up to trace wires etc. I just found it weird that 76 and 78 models are set up as in the picture and my 77 is totally different.

Thanks for helping out, I do appreciate it and hope thread can help someone out down the road.

Best,

Art

Auto Transport Service
Back