• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

79 300 no run?

69R/Tcharger

Local time
1:10 AM
Reaction score
i have a 79 chrysler 300 (cordoba) i was driving down the road and started having some obvious electrical issues, the headlights went dim and started missing like crazy and just quit driving down the road, after countless hours now trying to figure out whats wrong im ready to give up, so heres what happens, it seems to have power while cranking because the car will fire, once you let the key into the run position it seems to lose power and then quits. now the car was a lean burn car, the previous owner converted it over to a regular electronic ignition system and car now uses a mopar orange box, i have tried numerous ballast resistors and helped nothing, we were able to trick it to run by directly powering the coil and it would run, unfortunatly now when cranking it wont even fire so i've managed nothing but make it worse, any ideas??? i can try and provide more info if needed, thanks guys

yes i tried a brand new one i purchased for my 74 scamp, now i tried this after it stopped trying to fire while cranking which makes me think theres something wrong there because it was firing before, so i guess that possibility may still be open

Have you tried a new coil. Sounds like it might have pooped out. It was working when getting full battery voltage when cranking, or when you wired directly to battery. Now that doesnt work either.

Disconnect the bulkhead connector and have look and/or ohm out the connections.

Lots of corrosion on the main can cause this.

i was wondering about the possibility of a coil, havnt tried a new one yet, and okay i'll take a look at those connections next chance i get

Auto Transport Service
Back