• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

79 300 susp onto 74 Roadrunner?

guitarguy

Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
Hi, hate to double post but it was suggested I post this here.

Have a 79 300 I love to drive and a 74 Roadrunner project. At the risk of needing future therapy for it...

Would the entire K frame & steering box including brakes etc., wheel to wheel, from a 79 300 (you know, the Cordoba with all the cop goodies) bolt right in to a 74 Roadrunner? What about other stuff - 9 1/4rearend & springs?

The 79 is a driver; the 74 (was 318, 8 1/4)has been sitting for decades, missing front brakes, no drivetrain. Just curious about the 79-74 interchange before I consider it.

I know the Bs changed a lot in 73; anything chassis-wise between 74 and 79 I should know? Thanks! ~Scott in TX

In the front end, the only difference is the disc brake setup (the 79 300 got the 11.75" rotors, and slider calipers). All this means is that order for a 79 300 at the parts houses for replacement parts.

In the rear end, there were more changes, but it mainly deals with the sway bar setup and the iso-clamp arrangement. 79 has the bar under the axle, and the iso-clamp is "upside down" and uses different shocks than the 74.

but as a whole assembly, yes, you can swap the k-frame and rear end from one to the other.

There is one other diference in the front end: The torsion bars were lengthened in 75 and are ony interchangable with other 75-79 b-bodies. The good news is that there are reproduction and peferormace t-bars for the 74 and earlier cars.

There is one other difference in the front end: The torsion bars were lengthened in 75 and are only interchangeable with other 75-79 b-bodies. The good news is that there are reproduction and performance t-bars for the 74 and earlier cars.

That's wrong. Changeover year is 73 to the longer torsion bars. And yes, performance bars are available for the 73-79 B-body as well. Most notably from firm feel http://www.firmfeel.com/torsionb_b3.htm

Save the 300, I'd consider trading two 76s(one is a driver) for it.

Auto Transport Service
Back