• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

79 300

mrmopar66

Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
Hi, new guy here from Southern Indiana. Just bought a rolling 79 300 with no engine or trans.I would like to bigblock it. Can someone tell me if this can be done without the use of Schumachers or changing the K member.

Thanks, Brian

CIMG6556.jpg

Hi, new guy from southern Indiana. Just bought this on Wed. with no engine or trans. Can someone tell me if there is a way to mount a big block in it without the use of Schumacres or changing Kframes?

CIMG6556.jpg

I would have to say yes there is as the body style did come with a BB at one time.

Yeah but, The one with the BBlocks also had BB K-frames :(

Someone out there does make a convertion kit to fit a BB in
the SB K-frame, I'm sure someone here has done it. Look for
other threads here on that subject.
Find a 1975-78 B-body that had a BB, your already half way
there anyway? No engine or tranny installed? Plus the 300's
already come with the heavy duty goodies! :)
Good luck.

conversion mounts are your best bet. ive used them and you'll forget they are even there. they are just as good if not better than the originals

Last edited:
conversion mounts are your best bet. ive used them and you'll forget they are even there. they are just as good if not better than the originals

And those would be the Schumachers? Just sucks that they are 150 bucks. I only gave 400 for the car. But that is most likely the route I will go as I want to bring this one back to life and have a garage full of big blocks. Thanks for the advice!

And those would be the Schumachers? Just sucks that they are 150 bucks. I only gave 400 for the car. But that is most likely the route I will go as I want to bring this one back to life and have a garage full of big blocks. Thanks for the advice!

yes , a little pricy , but its better than cutting the perches and re-welding them or ripping the whole front end apart and changing the k member. shumacher is the only company i have been able to find that has them. trans dapt used to make the spool conversion mounts for the 6 to 318 , but i havent found any SB to BB.
save yourself the hassle and spend the money

Some times you just have to step up and bite the bullet!

The Schumakers would be the way to go. It would be a lot cheaper and less work than swapping out the K member. Nice looking car and by the way we have a set of Schumaker Tri Y headers on one of our 400's and they fit mighty fine too.

Last edited:
Yeah but, The one with the BBlocks also had BB K-frames :(

Someone out there does make a convertion kit to fit a BB in
the SB K-frame, I'm sure someone here has done it. Look for
other threads here on that subject.
Find a 1975-78 B-body that had a BB, your already half way
there anyway? No engine or tranny installed? Plus the 300's
already come with the heavy duty goodies! :)
Good luck.

Chris is correct. Any B body from 74-78 with a BB K frame will work, which would cost more the k frame or Schumacher?

Auto Transport Service
Back