• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'79 'doba 8 1/4 rear swap

I have 10 bolt/27 spline 8 1/4 non sure-grip. What is most economical way to swap? Guts? Axle? Where to find if used?
Has anyone tried this: https://www.monicattichrysler.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=795

Thanks.
1. I agree with Wile-E that swapping out the entire rear end for another used one is almost always the easiest and the cheapest.
a. find a 8-1/4" that is the correct size (check online). This might be a good time to find one with different gears or posi-traction (aka sure grip).
b. buy some new U-bolts + might as well get some new rear leaf spring bushings.
c. block front wheels & lift car up until the weight is off of the springs (maybe 4" before tires actually come off the ground) & support car with axle stands.
d. support rear end with another set of axle stands.
e. un-hook driveshaft.
f. disconnect brake lines & emergency brake cable.
g. cut u-bolts & roll/slide rear end out from underneath car.
h. re-install replacement rear end in reverse order using new u-bolts & rear leaf spring bushings. You might want to install new "iso-link" bushings where the leaf springs/u-bolts go while you're at it to.

2. If you hot rod the car at all OR if you plan to keep it a long time, you might want to consider a 8-3/4" rear end swap. It will cost more & is more difficult, but it is WAY stronger. I had a '77 Cordoba 400 4bbl. car and a shop did the swap for me (I didn't know how back then). I was told that the 8-3/4" came out of a '75 Charger (what I was told anyway).
a. I believe you need to remove the "iso-link" bushings (Cordoba guys speak up please)
b. You will likely need a different driveshaft.
c. It pretty much bolts right in.
e. an 8-3/4" rear end will handle just about anything you want to put in the Cordoba

i took the 82 dodge diplomat rear 8 1/4 axle and installed it on my belvedere . I 'm getting a bit of drive line vibration and just getting around to tilting it the right way , with the tremec app from my i phone. I dropped the gear to 3 .55 and bought a new sure grip from Chrysler it was the cheapest place

IMG_3224.JPG IMG_3226.JPG

i used the mounting brackets and made some shims so it would work and bought some new leaf spring pads ( universal ones)
i went to the truck spring shop and bought 1/2 u bolts and drilled out the 7 /16 holes and used the bigger u bolts
i only have the slant six , probably 225 hp now with twin carb set up. so no huge power to make you lose your licence

i took the 82 dodge diplomat rear 8 1/4 axle and installed it on my belvedere . I 'm getting a bit of drive line vibration and just getting around to tilting it the right way , with the tremec app from my i phone. I dropped the gear to 3 .55 and bought a new sure grip from Chrysler it was the cheapest place

View attachment 600089 View attachment 600090

Did you use this Sure-Grip? https://www.monicattichrysler.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=795

yes, i took the mopar part number that starts with P and called dealer and they ordered it for me

recommend checking wrecking yards and 90-94 Dakota truck series. Trucks were equipped with 3.55 gears, some came with sure-grip units. Not a direct fits, but provides a good start for a cool set-up. Another option is using a 91/4 from a early 70's C or B body (74 and newer). Sure-grip were and option. ALso check Dodge Ram or 4x4 series, you need to change the spring mounts, width maybe one inch wider, but still works. Keep in mind new sure-grip or limited slip units are cheaper for 81/4 and 91/4 and more common because the new vehicles on the market. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back