• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.25 and 9.25 rear drum brakes

Detective D

Local time
5:51 PM
Reaction score
Hello
I am working on my Police Monaco(78, B body) and guy I got it from used the 9.25 rear locker axle in his 74 Charger. On the plus side, he put the 8.25 from his Charger back onto my Monaco. But, the 8.25 is an open rear and it has a different ratio then stock. But, a guy an hour away had a correct 9.25 locker out of a big block b body with correct 3.23 gears so I have that now. Going through it right now.

So after that mouthful, the axle I have to put in has some obvious rust issues, namely, the back plate for the brakes on one side is completely gone and the other side is so bad I can't use it. The 8.25 under the car right now has PERFECT brakes, all solid, nice working condition. So the obvious question then is:
Can I take the entire drum brake system off that 8.25 and move it onto my 9.25? Do the back plates share the same mounting hole spacing? is there some other difference I don't know about preventing this?
I did a disc conversion on my 1990 Ramcharger and love it, but the prices(like everything) for that kit have gone up like 30% so I would rather reuse my existing nice stuff if I can. if I need to buy all new brakes, i will probably just pull the trigger on the discs next spring.

Anyone done this before?

I would say probably. I took an 8-1/4 out of my 78 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup and put an earlier 8-3/4 rear back in it's place. The brakes and backing plate bolted right on. Try looking up the axle flange gaskets for both axles and see if they are the same. Should be a gasket that is flat on top and round elsewhere. Five bolts holes.

Auto Transport Service
Back