• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.25 brakes on an 8.75?

phish1270

Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
I have a friend that has an 8 1/4 rear end in his Charger. He has found a good deal on an 8 3/4 but it does not have backing plates, brakes or drums. Are they interchangeable between 8 1/4s & 8 3/4s? Thanks for any help.

Yes. Just did this myself (went from an 8 1/4 to an 8 3/4). The backing plates are the same through the smallest rear end all the way up to the Dana. Researched this one up and down - and the info I found was correct.

Good to know.....I have an 8 1/4 in my Sundance with all new breaks and was going to swap in a 8 3/4 from a Satellite.Looks like I can reuse all my new stuff :)

I was in a similar boat. My 10" brakes on the 8 1/4 were working just fine and in good shape. The 8 3/4 had 11" backing plates, questionable (but complete) hardware, but no drums. Since the 10" brakes were matched to the rest of the braking system, I wanted to stick with them for now. So, I began researching.

One day I'll step up to discs in the front and 11" brakes in the back, but for now the 10" drums all around do the job.

Auto Transport Service
Back